Something ate my hop plants will they survive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrogenWidget

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have 4 potted hops plants from rhizoams i'm moving to my parents garden next week when my dad is back from vacation. two of the plants were doing really well. A couple of feet tall and climbing the stick i put in the pot.
yesterday I came home and almost all the leaves are gone from the tall plants and at least a foot of plant's stalks were eaten also.
I assume it was a rabbit or squirrel.

however the other two plants are just one inch shoots and were not touched.
are these things going to die?

Not expecting hops this yr, just wanted to get them established for next yr.

Could be a deer. It takes a really high fence to keep out a determined deer.

I've never raised hops, but in general plants are very resilient. Give them a chance and they may recover just fine.

I planted a walnut tree one time, it got to about 15ft tall with a trunk of a couple inches in diameter. A severe storm snapped the entire top of the tree off, all that was left was about 40" of trunk sticking out of the ground. Needless to say I was bummed that my beautiful tree was gone. But it wasn't. Within a few weeks it had sprouted new growth, and grew into a nice tree.

Hops, the pernicious weed.. I am not positive in my answer, however, based on my own growing experience, yes they will live. I think as long as the "crown" is not destroyed it should be fine. It is common to trim back bines so that the plant's energy is used for developing cones. Of course, continual nibbling will not help your yield. The first year is more about what's going on in the root system, but harvesting a few ounces is always nice.

I’m in the city and deer have been sighted on the outskirts but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a deer. However I do have a groundhog I forgot about. I only see him a few times a month. He probably did it

I agree. Not hops, but my wife bought some garden plants, I planted them, a landscaper cut them to mulch with a weed-wacker. A couple lived, the third must have revived enough to survive, it came back after a couple of years. I've seen trees stripped bare by silkworms grow more leaves the same season.
Do a search on restoring a pest eaten plant, maybe you'll find suggestions. But I bet it will recover just fine with water, sunshine, maybe a feeding.

With hops, the most important part is the root. As long as the root is alive, it should spring back.

And leaves are growing back!
They had me worried for a bit.
Got them on a table in the yard and just put up fence around my dad's garden to keep the deer out (hopefully) it's 7ft.
The garden is small enough though that a deer may not want to be inside it.

We had a few determined deer that would go over a 6' fence. Found someone who wanted to get rid of a four foot chain link fence Took it, laid it on the ground just outside the fence, no more deer, they did it like walking on it and I could still mow over it.

Latest posts

Back