Can I use the extract for my Partial Mash as a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbum007

Reaction score
I am brewing a partial mash doppelbock (1.088 OG) this weekend and was wondering if I could use the 3 lbs of extract as the starter and then mash the grains a day or so later and add that to the wort, or vice a versa. If this is a good idea, when should I add the second part of the wort? Obviously I would have to adjust the hops as I would not have a full boil. How would I do this?
Thanks,
Kurt

I've used part of my extract to form my starter. Most starters require only about half to a full cup of extract, though i know people will disagree. It just depends on how big a starter you want. I'd say that 3 lbs would be overkill, though.

Bump. I'm thinking of doing this today and brewing on Monday. I am planning on lagering the starter so I will not have any off flavors. I'm thinking about doing a 4 quart starter and then adding the yeast. Thoughts?

I don't think you can really go WRONG with using such a large starter. If anything the fermentation will probably kick off more quickly and may be more aggressive. If you go with that, I recommend a blow off tube.

Latest posts

Back