Blow off tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbrew26

Reaction score
Waswondering if there are any negative side affects to using a blowoff tube??? And if using a carboy will light have bad effects as well?

Nope, no side effects from using a blow off tube during your entire primary fermentation. Cover your carboy with an old t-shirt or something. It will be fine!

A blow off tube should have no negative side affects as long as it is properly submerged in a sanitized solution. It depends on what kind of light your brew is exposed to(incandescent is no big deal where as direct sunlight could be harmful). Just put a towel over the carboy to be safe. Hope I could help

When you say light, where are you fermenting? If you are keeping your fermenters near a window or a glass door...the tshirt is a good idea.

If you have it in a room where the light is turned on maybe 3 times a day but dark majority of the time....don't sweat it.

The only light you should really worry about is UVs. so if you have it on a tanning bed, I'd say your beer will be pretty skunky.

If you like cleaning wort off your ceiling do not use a blow off tube.

I always start with a blow off tube. If I do another brew after the fermentation slows I will transfer it. If not I just leave it on. Make sure your catch vessel is low so that you do not get any siphon action back into the fermenter. This can happen with atmospheric changes.

A blow off tube should have no negative side affects as long as it is properly submerged in a sanitized solution. It depends on what kind of light your brew is exposed to(incandescent is no big deal where as direct sunlight could be harmful). Just put a towel over the carboy to be safe. Hope I could help

The first 2 beers I brewed with a blowoff tube, I didn't use any sanitizer in the water in the jug the tube went into. My beers turned out fantastic. But... I have since used some extra starsan/water mix in the jugs. Whether it makes a difference... not sure.

Gary

The first 2 beers I brewed with a blowoff tube, I didn't use any sanitizer in the water in the jug the tube went into. My beers turned out fantastic. But... I have since used some extra starsan/water mix in the jugs. Whether it makes a difference... not sure.

Gary

I would just rather be on the safe side and add star san to it just to be safe. You never know if when you go to take your blowoff tube off and some of the water left over is going to drip in the wort and ruin your precious brew. I doubt that would happen but I'd rather not have to find out the hard way

I have yet to use sanitizer in my blowoff tube destination area. Think about it. Vigorous fermentation leads to excessive amounts of co2 forcing foam and other stuff through the tube constantly for at least 48 hours. By that time it is safe to take apart the blowoff assembly and put on a new airlock.

I have yet to have any problem with my beers.

I use a .5G plastic vodka jug as a blow off container. 1/3 full of water with just a splash of starsan. Much like making a pitcher of martinis. This way,not much sanitizer to worry about in the event of suck back.
Being retired does have it's advatages,as my fermenter stand is to the right of my comp hutch. So I get to keep an eye on it. If it looks to be starting a suck back,just lift the blow off tube out of the liquid,pressure equalizes,& push it back down into the blow off liquid.

I was just using that to make a point about how I'm not gone at work all day with no one watchin it. So I can catch things as they happen,it's being right next to me.

Lolz,pop quiz! :D Anyway,It seems that if you keep an eye on the blow off rig,you can catch it at the point the bubbling slows down enough in volume as well as frequency,it can be romoved. Clean grommet area with a lil starsan & insert clean airlock. Fill with vodka & step away from the fermenter.

I mix 2.5 gallons of starsan each brew day. fill a spray bottle plus a 2L bottle half way. the bottle is my blowoff receptacle. It'd just going down the sink otherwise. BTW, starsan becomes yeast nutrient when its PH becomes less acidic

I just keep a bucket full of starsan. Fill it about 3 gallons full and keep a lid on it. Good to go until it gets nasty. Keep in mind that is not for the blowoff tube. I just dont like wasting starsan.

Back