BeerSmith Batch Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rack04

Reaction score
I'm trying to get BeerSmith to batch sparge using equal size batches but it seems that I'm missing something because the brew sheet only shows Batch Sparge Round 1.

Here is my equipment:
Untitled1-1.jpg

Here is my mash profile:
Untitled.jpg

I struggled with this too. I believe you have to change the 90% mash tun volume to 50%.

I struggled with this too. I believe you have to change the 90% mash tun volume to 50%.

Changing it to 50% solves the problem. I guess the percentage should read "%of the sparge volume" instead of "%of the mash tun volume".

Is it typical to completely drain the mash tun after the mash out and before adding the 1st running of sparge water?

Changing it to 50% solves the problem. I guess the percentage should read "%of the sparge volume" instead of "%of the mash tun volume".

Is it typical to completely drain the mash tun after the mash out and before adding the 1st running of sparge water?

Yes, for a batch sparge. In fact, it's most common to not do a mash out, but to do a double batch sparge instead of a mash out when batch sparging. The Mash out water is just part of the first round of batch sparging.

Yes, for a batch sparge. In fact, it's most common to not do a mash out, but to do a double batch sparge instead of a mash out when batch sparging. The Mash out water is just part of the first round of batch sparging.

Does not doing a mash out decrease efficiency? Also, what is a rough estimate for the efficiency for a first all grain batch?

Does not doing a mash out decrease efficiency? Also, what is a rough estimate for the efficiency for a first all grain batch?

No, because you'll immediately drain the MLT, and add the first round of sparge water.

The efficiency can vary widely so it'd be hard to guess. I'd say to plan on 65-70% and take a preboil SG reading to check and see if you're on track. If not, you can either decrease or increase the hopping to "scale" the recipe for the efficiency you do get.

So in order to calculate the actual efficiency I need the pre boil OG, pre boil volume, fermenter OG, and fermenter volume?

Back