Quick question on clearing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorson138

Reaction score
I just have a quick question on this batch of mead clearing. I used a ton of honey in this batch (20lbs). It was added to 4 gallons of distilled water to equal just under 6 gallons. I started this batch on 9-27-09 and have only racked once. It has a good amount of lees on the bottom and a little bit in the grooves of the carboy around the middle area. I hesitate to rack again because it is still not getting clear at all. I don't want to rack and rack and rack some more because I don't want to lose any more of the batch and I don't want to oxygenate it. It has been just over a month since it started.

What time frame would you all expect for this batch to drop clear using that much honey and using the no heat method? Temp has been controlled around 70*- 73* the whole time. Thanks for any replies.

Mead takes months to clear. Most will clear most of the way in about 1 month. Some take much longer (3 months). I know people get on me for telling others to heat the honey and remove the wax. I do it to avoid what you are running into now. As long as there are lees, rack it every 30 days. Just be careful you do not oxidize it.

Back