adding fruit to wheat beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmee

Reaction score
My wife likes Sea Dog's Blueberry and rasberry wheat beers and she asked me to make one. Now I have made wheat beers before so I am good on that part, but when do I add the fruit....boil? secondary? I hope to make it next weekend.

For best results put half of your fruit in the primary and half in your secondary. I find that heating the fruit in water to 180 F for ten minutes will sterilize the fruit without setting the pectin or cooking off the flavor. It also makes the fruit easy to pour into the carboy. I find that the best flavor comes from about 3 pounds frozen fruit each time and two weeks in the secondary on the fruit.:mug:

Just a little comment:

I just bottled a raspberry hef wherein I added the fruit to the secondary. There was a lot of headspace, but it still shot a grip of foam through the airlock and overflowed. Not that that's bad... :)
after a week in the secondary and about 5 days in the bottle, it has lots of fruit flavor.

Skip & Go Naked (probably the best thing you can do with a wheat:D )

1 1/2 oz. Gin
12 oz. Cold Wheat Beer
1 oz. Sour Mix or lemon juice
Dash Grenadine

Back