please explain hops schedule to me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfd622

Reaction score
Hi all,

Obviously I'm new to this homebrewing thing. I've made 2 batches so far, an IPA and a Porter, both from kits. Both taste great, and so I'm branching out to find some recipes and to just tinker. As I look at these things, the details are a bit lacking (enough detail if you know what you are doing - not quite enough for me though).

My question is simple. I just need to know how to read a hops schedule. Example:

Northern Brewer 7.3 aau 60 minutes
Northern brewer 7.3 aau 10 minutes
cascade 6.7 aau 10 minutes

Do the times refer to the total time needed for the boil of the hops, or are they telling me to add after that much boiling has happened? I believe this is a 60 minute boil (as most are). I just can't figure if I read it left to right or right to left (it matters obviously). I'm guessing cascade is at the end, and the northern is the bittering hops that is added early and then towards the end, but I want to make sure.

Thanks

gfd622

It is how long you boil the hops.

60 minute boil you would boil the first hop addition the whole time
The other two would go in after 50 minutes

thanks - that's how I read it but I did want to make sure (told you it was simple)

gfd622

Easiest way to time the adds is get a mechanical timer & set it to 60 minutes when you make the 60 minute bittering add. As the timer counts down, make the other adds.

Latest posts

Back