Upset Stomach from Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilbrew247

Reaction score
Is it possible for yeast to reactivate in your stomach and cause a gassy upset stomach?

Yes. Normal. Your gut will adjust in a week or two.

PS - this is good for your GI tract...ever heard of "probiotics?"

EDIT: Revvy, I'd figured you'd post - you have a ton of great info on this...I was looking for one of your more detailed posts but couldn't find it.

It's not that it "reactivitates" in the stomach, it's just that our digestive systems are not used to a lot of yeast. Yeast farts are quite common in people just starting to drink bottle conditioned beer, home brew or otherwise. But usually your body does get used to it.

And the yeast is actually really really good for us.

There's a ton of threads on this topic, so you might want to do some reading.

I seem to fondly remember the toxic green gasses one... its a shame i can no longer find it. But, yeah. Your body gets used to home brewed and bottle carbonated beer on its own.

I never had the problem when I started homebrewing because I always drank a lot of nottle conditioned craft brews.

On the other had several friends had major gas when they started brewing. They could empty a room.

Revvy said:
It has to do with something called oligosaccharides, it's the same stuff that is in bean that causes us to toot.

You can read an explination by me about it in this thread. Bad Gastro-Intestinal Response

Thanks that explains a lot. I did cold crash my beer prior to racking to keg, but since it carbed nicely after a week in the keg, i started drinking. So probably a lot to do with it being such a young beer.

Someone mentioned living yeasts... what are your thoughts on the ability for yeast to survive the hostile environment of the gut?

Someone mentioned living yeasts... what are your thoughts on the ability for yeast to survive the hostile environment of the gut?

I had something like that happen once. I think I had a thick layer of krausen stuck to the top of my stomach. My tummy felt ill for two days. A half a bottle of Pepto bismol helped me yak out that krausen. :rockin:

I remember having all sorts of farts when I first started drinking my home brews but dont have that problem now. Now I know why! Interesting.

Ask my wife....she bitched for months after I started drinking home brew.

HA! You got off easy, mine never stopped :(

After you rack your beer into the bottling bucket, just pour that yeast cake right on into the blender, add chocolate and enjoy.

With every new home brew kit sold, there should be a T-shirt that reads,"I am a little fermenter."

Is this an issue with all homebrew? Is it limited to kits or does this happen with all grain as well?
And what is different from commercial beer to cause this?

Is this an issue with all homebrew? Is it limited to kits or does this happen with all grain as well?
And what is different from commercial beer to cause this?

Pretty sure, less yeast, less stomach distress. Homebrew tends to contain the most amount of yeast, and therefore, the most distress. Macro lagers and the like are filtered, which is why most folks don't discover the gas until after drinking homebrew.

Thanks that explains a lot. I did cold crash my beer prior to racking to keg, but since it carbed nicely after a week in the keg, i started drinking. So probably a lot to do with it being such a young beer.

Basically, even if the yeast could survive the highly acidic world of your gut, as long as you have a healthy immune system things should be just fine. In rare instances people with compromised immune systems do get a sort of yeast infection in their intestines, which can then ferment food, particularly high carb food. Some anti-fungal medication and being on a low carb diet for a few days should clear that right up.

That might be exacerbated if the person also frequently used calcium based antacids. Causing the stomach to be less toxic to the yeast

Back