Working on an APA Extract Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jif

Reaction score
I've been playing with the Brew Builder on Brewmasters Warehouse (awesome site, looking forward to placing my first order there!) and drawing up an APA recipe. I've pulled something together, but I'd like some takes on it before I go ahead and pull the trigger.

4.5# DME
1.5# Caramel Pils (steeping)
.5oz Centennial (60)
.5oz Centennial (30)
1oz Warrior (15)
1oz Simcoe (0)
Wyeast American Ale Yeast

By the calculations on the site, I'm right on the big end of the style, which is what I'm looking for. I'm mixing pellets (Centennial) and plugs (Warrior/Simcoe), is that an issue? I've never used plugs before, just pellets and whole hops. I went with Simcoe for dry hopping as I'm a big fan of the ODell IPA, and I hear that's where a lot of its aroma comes from. Would it be better to dry hop with the Warrior and finish with the Simcoe if that's what I'm going for?

Prices on this site seem great by the way, right about $37 for all of this (pre shipping).

There is nothing wrong with mixing pellets and plugs in a brew. They are just hops in the end. I am not familair with ODell IPA so I can not comment on that, but Warrior is typically used for bittering only. I would perhaps move the Warrior to 30+ minutes and move some of the Centennial down to 5-20 minutes to account for change in IBUs. Simcoe is a dula purpose hop that is pretty good dry hopped.

I changed my recipe a bit, here's what I have now:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.60 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 86.84 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 13.16 %
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (45 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG