Needed: Blackberry Wit Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseRYC

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I've been looking for a recipe for a blackberry wit with no results. I was wondering if i should just brew a wit as I normally would (with orange peel and coriander) and then add a blackberry concentrate to the secondary. This concentrate will be made by mashing up around half a pound of blackberries with a bit of water over some heat and then strain off the juice, and boil this for 10 minutes to make sure it is sterile. Once cooled, add it to the witbier in the secondary. Does this sound like a plausible idea to have a subtle but noticeable hint of blackberry in a witbier?

Sounds about right, but I wouldn't bother with the orange peel if you're adding blackberry. You won't even taste it. You could make the whole deal a bit easier by just buying blackberry puree and using 1/2 the can.

Don't boil fruit if you can help it- it will go hazy from the pectin. It's obviously not a huge deal in a wit, but still something to keep in mind. I have mashed fruit and brought it up to 175, and I've also just mashed and added a campden tablet. Both methods work fine.

A big advantage of adding in the secondary, as you're doing, is that you can sample and adjust pretty easily to get the profile you want.

Lastly, I say stick with the orange peel. Bitter citrus is a pretty defining flavor for a wit, and I'd definitely feel like something was missing if I tried a spicy berry wheat beer that didn't have at least a hint of orange.

Cool. Thanks for the advice guys. Also, I was planning on using mt. hood hops in the recipe. Research shows that wits normally use Saaz and Hallertauer. However, im not too sure which one is used for flavor and which is used for aroma. Any suggestions?

Either of those hops would work as an aroma hop. I just do a 20 IBU or so bittering hop addition in my wits, but if I aroma hopped it I'd probably go with the Saaz.

Back