Yeast Dilemma.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdoft

Reaction score
Scoobydoobynooby here. I'm planning on brewing my first non-kit recipe next Tuesday. Name is One Legged Hop (In honor of my flyfishing buddy who shattered his ankle when his deck collapsed this spring). Style is IIPA. I love Alpha King, Ruination, Pliny...who wouldn't? Anyway the malt bill is Alpha King esque (Pale liquid extract with a minimash with carapils, melanoidin (sp?), crystal 40L and a touch of special B. Hops are 60min 1oz warrior, 45min 1 oz chinook, 30min 1oz centennial, 10min 1 oz simcoe and 1oz cascade and 1 oz amarillo at 0 min. Dry hop for a couple wks with centenial,amarillo and simcoe. Beer Smith Says Ibus around 90 and OG around 1.070. Color=17 (a bit dark I know). Was going with White Labs Cali Ale V but forgot to order and then on a whim ordered Rogue Pacman. So....Do I use the Pacman or go back to my plan of White Labs Cali Ale V? Also, I do have some White Labs Cali V at the bottom of my secondary underneath a ton of Centennial pellet dry hop covering (from a Dales Pale clone that I'm about to bottle). Should I rinse that and use it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated:confused:

If you wanted to use the yeast from your Secondary you would probably have to wash it, and then step it up at least a couple times with starters before you had a high enough cell count. Just depends on how much is in there.

If you can plan things correctly, and can brew around the same time you move a beer out of your Primary. You can save about a Quart of your yeast cake and pitch your new brew on top of that. This method works great for me. I did the washing thing for a while but I wound up having so much yeast that it just sat around, taking up valuable space in the fridge.

I don't think you want to use yeast that has dry hops on it in general, but with a DIPA it may be OK. Like Yankeehillbrewer mentions-the primary is the place to harvest from. I'd use the Pacman.

Thanks so much YHB and TB! Thanks to your input I can save yeast washing class for another day!. I get the Pacman in the mail today from AHB and will start my starter tomorrow. Yow!! BTW is it just me or does Austin Homebrew have my order to UPS before I even hit send?
TD

Thanks so much YHB and TB! Thanks to your input I can save yeast washing class for another day!. I get the Pacman in the mail today from AHB and will start my starter tomorrow. Yow!! BTW is it just me or does Austin Homebrew have my order to UPS before I even hit send?
TD

Yeah, my orders from them have been filled and sent out quickly

In retrospect the pac man was definately the way to go for this beer. It's not done yet but after I brewed I realized that if it was underattenuated it would be too dang sweet. With the pac man I'm already down to 1.016 from 1.073 in less than a week and it tastes about as it should (not overly sweet and plenty bitter and alcoholic)at this stage. Thanks again for the good advice all.
TD

In retrospect the pac man was definately the way to go for this beer. It's not done yet but after I brewed I realized that if it was underattenuated it would be too dang sweet. With the pac man I'm already down to 1.016 from 1.073 in less than a week and it tastes about as it should (not overly sweet and plenty bitter and alcoholic)at this stage. Thanks again for the good advice all.
TD

Cool, glad to hear it's going well:mug:

Back