Oxygen Tanks on eBay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
I see that there are usually oxygen tanks for sale on e-bay. They tend to sell out at less than $50.00 or so.

Are these a good deal? What are the questions we need to ask ourselves to determine if we should buy one of these? What do we need to know about regulators?

As I understand it, if they are for medical use, you cannot usually get them filled without a prescrition. Which sucks because those are not a lot of money and you can get cheap regs with flow meters on them. It's pretty stupid that you can go to a welding shop and get the same exact gas in a different cylinder but not a medical tank...

It's a life-support thing. I've worked with welding oxygen, diver's o2, and aviation o2 and they all have different requirements for fittings, software, cleanliness, regulators, etc. That's the only reason why you need a scrip to have a medical tank filled.

I see that there are usually oxygen tanks for sale on e-bay. They tend to sell out at less than $50.00 or so.

Are these a good deal? What are the questions we need to ask ourselves to determine if we should buy one of these? What do we need to know about regulators?

Keep an eye on craigslist. I got 4 medical oxygen tanks (3 full) and 1 big 55lb empty weight welding oxygen tank for $100. I actually emptied the welding one and shipped it to someone on this board. If you can find a big one full, it will have enough oxygen to do thousands of batches of beer. It took like 12 hours to drain the thing using the regulator.

If you want a medical one I can sell it for $20 but it would be empty, I won't ship them full. As others have said depending on your area it may require a prescription to get it filled.

Back