Damned Kids Sweet Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Thought I'd share this. I will be brewing it in about a month. Any comments or suggestions are welcome! Should I add some nutmeg or cinnamon?:D

Back in the 1980’s actor Wilford Brimley did a lot of ads for Quaker oatmeal. He also played the grandfather in a house full of grandkids on an NBC television show, appropriately titled Our House.

He has always played cranky, cantankerous old men. And it always seemed to me that he, like W.C. Fields, would be irritated with kids. Any kids. So, this recipe is an homage to Wilford. It combines milk stout and oatmeal stout elements. I've always pictured him walking around a house full of kids barking out, "You kids shut the hell up and eat your damned oatmeal, ya damn kids!"

Breakfast of Champions, dammit!
~~~~~~~~~~

Damned Kids Sweet Oatmeal Stout
Recipe Ó 2005 by Mark Pannell

OG: 1.071
FG: 1.012
ABV = 7.8%
IBU = 28.6
SRM= 48.1

Grains:
9 lbs. Maris Otter British 2-row (3.0-L)
2.5 lb. flaked oats (2.0-L )
3/4 lb. roasted barley (474-L )
1/2 lb. U.S Crystal malt, (90-L)
4 oz. Belgian chocolate malt, 2-row (425-L )

Bittering hops:
.5 oz. Columbus [14.0% AAU] (60 mins.)

Flavoring hops:
.25 oz. Perle [6.0% AAU] (30 mins.)

Fining agent:
Irish Moss (15 mins.)

Misc. Flavorings:
1/2 lb. dextrose powder (20 mins.)

Yeast:
White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Primary: 5 days at 68o F

Secondary: 14 days at 68o F

Total boil: 60 minutes

Heat 3.8 gallons of water to ~137oF. Mash grains at ~122o F for 30 minutes. Add boiling water to raise temperature to 154oF and mash for 60 minutes (~5.4 gallons). Recirculate until clear, ~20 minutes.
Sparge with ~7gallons of 170o F water. Add hops, dextrose powder and Irish moss to schedule above. Cool wort to ~70o F and pitch yeast. Bottle when beer falls clear. Prime with 1-1/4 cups plain light DME.
~~~~~~~~~~

Looks good....looks strong. Think its balanced enough? I'd bump the IBU's a little bit if it were me. That's a monster grain bill.

BTW...what program do you use for your recipes?

keeping in mind the quaker oats - i'd be prone to try all the different instant flavors - say flavoring a couple different ones when you bottle, maple or brown sugar, rasberry or strawberry, maybe even apple cinnamon.
then again, those falvors (for me at least) would be more of a novelty than anything else - but the base recipe looks good and hearty - good luck with it.

I can picture a label with an old man sitting on the porch in a rocking chair, walking cane laying on lap, a kid grabbing a stray football out of his front yard, with the old man's arm extended and fist shaking. Beautiful.

Sounds nice. I'm tempted to try this with some additions to shoot for an oatmeal cookie taste.

Question: How much DME would you recommend in place of the two row for an extract/grain recipe? 6 lbs or so?

LupusUmbrus said:
... How much DME would you recommend in place of the two row for an extract/grain recipe? 6 lbs or so?
6 lbs. would be about right.

joeyuwp said:
... I can picture a label with an old man sitting on the porch in a rocking chair, walking cane laying on lap, a kid grabbing a stray football out of his front yard, with the old man's arm extended and fist shaking. Beautiful.
Exactly!

ORRELSE said:
... Think its balanced enough? I'd bump the IBU's a little bit if it were me. That's a monster grain bill.

BTW...what program do you use for your recipes?
I'm using ProMash. But I paste them into a word document format that I use for all my recipes. I tried to stay within the ProMash guidelines for IBUs for an oatmeal stout. I could probably up them a little. ;)

Latest posts

Back