Gelatin - Adding it Gently?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
I am gearing up for my first time using gelatin.

I have recently become concerned about the possibility of splashing the beer when adding the gelatin mixture.

How do you add gelatin gently to a carboy? Maybe a funnel with a tube coming out the end? Using the wine thief that I use to take a hydro sample? Should I just sprinkle the gelatin on top of the beer like it was dry yeast? Or just RDWHAHB and dump the gelatin liquid mix in there?

Don't sprinkle dry, you'll get beer jello. Just dump the liquid in. You have a blanket of CO2 in there, so a bit of splashing won't hurt.

I keg my beer, so I normally add it to the bottom of the keg and rack on top of it. Works very well. However, if you're bottling, I don't know if it'll affect carbonation by draging the yeast out of suspension before it's done its job.

Edit: Actually, I just thought about it for a second and if that were the case, you couldn't use it in the primary/secondary anyway. Just mix it in the same solution as your priming sugar and you should be fine.

My kegs will probably sit warm for a little while after kegging, so I'd rather do it to them in the fermenters in the fridge. I guess I'll just dump it in and see what happens... After all, I do let the hops plunk into there when I dry hop. Hmmm... this is a case where a bucket would be better to work with.

Maybe use a small sanitized funnel that touches down on the surface of the beer?

Did the deed last night. Just dumped it in. Looking forward to the dramatic results I'm expecting to see!

Latest posts

Back