3711 French into 3724 Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNow

Reaction score
Anyone have luck with adding a starter of 3711 into a partially attenuated (65% ADF) batch of 3724? My OG was 1.060 and is sticking at 1.020. I know waiting another 2-3 weeks will bring it down but I am interested in seeing how a combined pitch will come out.

One concern is not being able to add oxygen to the partially fermented wort. My solution is to add the 3711 starter when it is peaking.

I’m also hoping the character of the 3724 will be the dominant in terms of flavor profile. Just using 3711 to get the FG close to 1.000 as possible.

Anything else I am missing?

You can aerate the hell out of the starter and pitch the entire thing. I've personally always wanted to combine the two strains.

3711 is mild compared to 3724 imo, I think you'll keep the flavor profile you want.

Nice feedback. I've got a good feeling about this...I will pitch the entire starter when it reaches the high point. I'm also going to collect the whole yeast slurry and re-pitch once all is said and done. Very interested in having a quick yet complex saison yeast at hand.

I do this frequently. I like to give the 3724 about 48 hours from pitching to when I add the 3711, I usually reduce my temp from the mid-high 80s to just room temp 70s once it's added too. Gives me the flavour of 3724 with the bone dry finish that 3711 produces.

I will siphon a 250ml jar of the 3724 before I pitch the 3711 into the primary, just so I have a clean 3724 for washing/repitching into my next saison.

Back