I think I am finally getting this down. Dialing in my process.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camus

Reaction score
This is sort of a pat on the back thread for all those who post here, both questions and answers. The wealth and depth of shared experience here at HBT is astounding. With some key searches 99% of my questions have been already asked, answered, discussed and debated. In the few short months since I found this board, I can't remember what I was looking for that got me here, I have gone from following kit instructions to the tee, to making my own recipes, to all grain. And I have been having success and a lot of fun doing so.

I tried a partial mash in bag but wasn't groovy on slinging a bag of grain around but I enjoyed the process. The next day I built a 5 gallon mash tun, helped by threads here, thinking I would continue doing partials, but have have just been doing AG because the recipes I have been doing fit.

Anyway, the point of the thread being, my last three batches I have been getting consistent mid 70's mash efficiency, brewhouse needs some work but I understand what needs to be done thanks to this board. :mug:

It is nice to get the expected results and to understand how I got them, this is all thanks to those who contribute here.

Cheers.

As time goes on you will figure out what works best for you and your system. When I first started I was getting low 70's but now I consistently get no less than 80%. Remember just have fun, and RDWAHAHB.

Heck, if you're not stressed and cursing, you're not doing it right!

Seriously, I'm a pretty hyper person normally but when I brew I really am pretty relaxed and easy going. It's why I love the hobby so much- it's satisfying and not stressful.

I'm glad you are enjoying it so much.

Heck, I am usually just happy to make through a brew day without a spigot open somewhere. Seriously though, I found brewing therapeutic once I got my extract process down. When I switched to AG I started wearing my running shoes because I was all over the place.

Probably the most beneficial thing is knowing how long each step takes and what this allows me to do and when.

I just think it is pretty cool you can take your grain temp, figure your strike water temp based on it and its works, or having a predictable boil off etc etc. When I was reading up on how do do this I really thought it would be a much more tedious process.

Back