Fermentation Temp schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdwalter

Reaction score
Looking for some input here. I finally have a freezer dedicated to a fermentation chamber that allows me to control my beer's temp while fermenting. I have done 3 beers so far with it and I think they are coming along nicely (just recently bottled). For all 3 beers (all ales), I did a 3 week primary at about 60 degrees ambiet (I used to have a huge problem with fusels). Now, for my next batch I'm looking to change the schedule up a bit. Basic outline:

1. place chilled wort in chamber to get temp down to 60-65 before pitching
2. Allow beer to ferment one week at 60-63 ambient
3. Place beer in warmer area (68-70) for 2 weeks to let beer ferment completely
4. Bottle at end of 3 weeks

My big concerns with the previous method were too high of a pitch temp (about 70-72) and too long at the lower temps (not sure if they fully fermented out) (should have gotten an accurate hydrometer reading but didn't).

Thanks for any advice!

I'd take caution calculating your fermentation temps based on ambient temperatures. Try to find a way to measure the temperature of the wort during fermentation and get proper fermentation that way.

Latest posts

Back