I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rock chucks are why I have my name I use in the forums. Nothing I like better than setting up a bench and doing some long range varmint control. Although now I just take a few guys out and spot for them. I guess it is a god complex because I decide which chucks go and meet their maker.

We really need to get together and do some shooting sometime. I just love to send some rounds downrange and I have not done enough of it lately

That would be fun.

I'm just starting to get back into shooting after about three years of not.
The long drawn out process of the divorce re arranged my life a bit, then being a single dad changed time priorities for me.

I've just started into a winter league 22 slow fire shoot that lasts 10 weeks. I'm hoping this helps get me back into the habit of shooting more again.
I've got an 1884 trapdoor that I bought cast bullets for in three hardnesses and I think sized to four sizes that's been sitting around for over three years and I haven't worked up the loads for it yet!
Maybe I need to find some black powder and get with the program on that also.

I used to put at least 150 rounds down range every weekend. Over 100 of them were the old 44.
That is the only way to be a decent shot.
I need to figure out how to make time to reload so I will shoot more.

I kind of enjoy reloading. Just sit there doing the same thing over and over is kind of calming to me. And the only way I could afford to shoot as much as I used to was by reloading. And I think things are going to get crazy again with all the talk coming out of the government. I think I better buy a couple boxes of 30 caliber and 270 in a heavy weight so I got some good elk rounds I can load

270 is a little light for elk in my mind. Does Barnes make an x bullet in 270?

30 is the small end of what I like for elk, 338 is better.
Of course I go out with a longbow and an ash arrow, so obviously a 270 will work if you keep it in range and place the shot.

At one point in bread making, maybe a 4-5 year period I never used dry yeast just a levain starter. (wild yeast) When I first started making levain it took me awhile to get the timing down, it takes around 12 hours or so. Was up many night's at 2 am pulling bread out of the oven. Slathered in butter and a glass of wine. Just doesn't get much better.

The book is pretty great, it's not just a recipe book but has a lot of stories about bread making. Man, I'm talking myself into digging it out and reading it again.

270 is a little light for elk in my mind. Does Barnes make an x bullet in 270?

30 is the small end of what I like for elk, 338 is better.
Of course I go out with a longbow and an ash arrow, so obviously a 270 will work if you keep it in range and place the shot.

With a 270 I would want to keep the shot as close as I could but like you say placement is everything. And I cannot tell you how many times I have let a elk walk away just because I did not feel right about the shot.

Not sure about Barnes. I do use them for my 30 caliber but my 270 likes Speer bullets. My 270 is a much lighter gun and does the trick for me. At least I have never had to track a animal very far before it died.

This is like economics class! We are talking about guns and bread! Wait... that was guns and buttter... nevermind.

At one point in bread making, maybe a 4-5 year period I never used dry yeast just a levain starter. (wild yeast) When I first started making levain it took me awhile to get the timing down, it takes around 12 hours or so. Was up many night's at 2 am pulling bread out of the oven. Slathered in butter and a glass of wine. Just doesn't get much better.

The book is pretty great, it's not just a recipe book but has a lot of stories about bread making. Man, I'm talking myself into digging it out and reading it again.

Baking bread is kind of addicting in a way. I bought a wheat mill and a ton of red wheat before I knew what I was doing. Sigh the red wheat tastes better to me but dang hard to get it to rise right.

And saying that I just pulled the bread out of the oven and am going in for a big fat slice right now :mug:

This is like economics class! We are talking about guns and bread! Wait... that was guns and buttter... nevermind.

I think what they are trying to say is that fresh coyote or bunny goes great with bread, butter and maybe a little honey. Otherwise that would be slippery and someone could really get hurt.

With a 270 I would want to keep the shot as close as I could but like you say placement is everything. And I cannot tell you how many times I have let a elk walk away just because I did not feel right about the shot.

Not sure about Barnes. I do use them for my 30 caliber but my 270 likes Speer bullets. My 270 is a much lighter gun and does the trick for me. At least I have never had to track a animal very far before it died.

You like Speer becasue they're from Lewiston!
My 458 loved the X bullets. They were expensive, but the bullet holes touched at 200 yards. Not bad for an elephant gun!

I think what they are trying to say is that fresh coyote or bunny goes great with bread, butter and maybe a little honey. Otherwise that would be slippery and someone could really get hurt.

Let's not forget the elk!
Mmmmm....... some nice elk steak or stew with fresh homemade bread!

Honestly though, this thread should be locked from say 11am EST to 10pm EST. This would allow for a wide range of "this time at night..." and keep the flavor of the thread.

More vampires, less hanger-ons! I'm proud of my longtime status as a creature of the night!!

Well I'm on here both times of the day!
I can be found in the wee hours of the morning, or some during the day.
I do like the lock down in daylight idea though.
It would be so easy to have a parallel daylight version of the thread and the posts at 2:00 AM are certainly different than daytime posts.

Honestly though, this thread should be locked from say 11am EST to 10pm EST. This would allow for a wide range of "this time at night..." and keep the flavor of the thread.

More vampires, less hanger-ons! I'm proud of my longtime status as a creature of the night!!

I do my best to not post in this thread when the sun is shining. :D Not always able to hold to that, but I do my best. :eek: :D So trying to lock it isn't normally needed... Maybe put in a clause where any posts made before it's "night" time where you are will be ignored by all others. :D

Oh, I like your B words Creamy - Boobies, Broulee and Beef and if I may round that out with Butts!

Broulee? A town on the south coast of New South Wales between Batemans
Bay and Moruya with a population of 1,292 people. Huh? :D

Oh, Crème brûlée also known as burnt cream, crema catalana, or Trinity cream, a
dessert consisting of a rich custard base topped with a contrasting layer of hard caramel.

I think I'm falling for Siri by the way.

Airborneguy said:
My wife just recently started making bread because she is fed up with the crappy ingredients in commercial breads. She's getting pretty good at it already.

That's awesome. I would be doing more of that, but there's a really great bakery nearby that baked all organic breads. If I go in early they have all their day olds for $2. I can't pass on a $2 load of organic shepherder's bread. My freezer is packed.

bottlebomber said:
That's awesome. I would be doing more of that, but there's a really great bakery nearby that baked all organic breads. If I go in early they have all their day olds for $2. I can't pass on a $2 load of organic shepherder's bread. My freezer is packed.

Wish I had something like that here.

Dan said:

How about you talk yourself into having a nice warm loaf ready for me to pick up on my way home at around, oh 06:45 tomorrow morning? I wish I had the baking bug but I don't at all. The most I've made in the past 3-4 years was a batch of blueberry muffins (from the box) and two batches of spent grain dog treats.

Haha. I haven't made any great bread since I moved to this lovely valley of ours. I just cant get the starter to flourish for some reason. I made some pizza crust with dry yeast last weekend but that was the first time in probably 6-7 months.

Dry baking yeast works fine, that stuff is pretty much fool proof but it doesn't give bread the flavor wild yeast imparts. Once you have had levain, regular yeast breads just lose their appeal.

Man I just checked the batch I brewed last night and forgot to put starsan in the vapor lock......Again. Well at least this time I remembered to put the air lock in

I wouldn't worry about the airlock too much.
Pretty secure from anything making it past the dry airlock and by the time you noticed, you probably had a slight positive air flow with CO2 starting to be made.

Yup not worried at all about it. Kind of sad though I have forgot it enough times that I went back to check on it

I am excited to taste this beer though. I used 1/2 ounce bittering at the start of the boil and 1 ounce Sazz at ten minutes before done. Forgot to taste my sample simply because I was drinking moose drool so I have no idea how it will work out

My wife made leaven cookies using some of my spent grain and a spoon if the yeast cake. They turned out really good.

My wife made leaven cookies using some of my spent grain and a spoon if the yeast cake. They turned out really good.

Hey snaps ask her for the recipe. I am thinking I would love to try something like that.

Bugger I was thinking of the redwoods last night being just west of me. How far south are you from SF

Varmintman said:
Hey snaps ask her for the recipe. I am thinking I would love to try something like that.

Bugger I was thinking of the redwoods last night being just west of me. How far south are you from SF

Will do. I will warn you though. She found the recipe on a website for increasing breast milk production. I can make no guarantees!

We actually couldn't find the dry brewer's yeast that the recipe called for and I was kegging and brewing an oatmeal stout that day. The recipe didn't actually call for either, she just went with out. :)

I'm about 3.5-4 hrs from the Bay Area.

It does suck and I will evaluate the pelt before I spend time skinning it. Heck I remember 30 years ago coyote was going for about 100 bucks a pelt. Them were the days I tell you.

I ran a trap line for muskrats for a few years. It got to the point though they were only paying 75 cents per pelt. Took a LOOOONG trap line to make any money that way.

Heck I enjoy just getting out and checking things out anymore. I take a rifle but if I do not shoot anything I am fine

Some counties around here pay a $100-$200 bounty for coyotes, no skinning necessary.

Gah, I can't stand day-old bread.

Some counties around here pay a $100-$200 bounty for coyotes, no skinning necessary.

Sheesh I bet the coyotes are running scared. Last bunch I sold I got 20 bucks for them and it is just not worth dragging the out and then skinning them for that.

Back