Broken Glass Carboy Horror Stories Compendium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you choose to use them you will break one at some point.

What makes you think that?

Law of averages??? Seems like almost everyone who uses one eventually breaks one.

When I took motorcycle safety, the instructors talked about learning how to prevent a wreck and how to minimize the damage when you fall. They were very specific: it's not "if", it's "when". You have to behave in a manner that makes the assumption of "when". You might go through your whole life never wrecking on your bike, and you might do the same with a glass carboy, but act as if it is always possible that you will eventually, and you might come out alive.

When I took motorcycle safety, the instructors talked about learning how to prevent a wreck and how to minimize the damage when you fall. They were very specific: it's not "if", it's "when". You have to behave in a manner that makes the assumption of "when". You might go through your whole life never wrecking on your bike, and you might do the same with a glass carboy, but act as if it is always possible that you will eventually, and you might come out alive.

Yep. Always act as if disaster is around the corner when brewing and you're likely to live to brew again. :)

I have been wanting to move to fermenting in cornys for a while now for several reasons. I pretty much resigned to the fact that I would do that when I broke my carboy somehow. Anyways, I was sanitizing my carboy on sunday during brew day and let the thing down a little too hard and broke it. 5 minutes later I got it all cleaned up and had a keg full of starsan sanitizing instead. Only got a little cut on my ankle. got off lucky and have a few dozen brews done in that carboy. RIP carboy but I don't think I'll regret moving to keg fermentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I agree. I use a HDPE container. Just thought if you need to use one wrap it.

Glass or plastic?

Glass. At least if stubborn folks wrap their glass carboy they might avoid serious injury.

I agree the best thing is not to use one, but failing that the wrap seems like a possible safety measure

Glass. At least if stubborn folks wrap their glass carboy they might avoid serious injury.

I agree the best thing is not to use one, but failing that the wrap seems like a possible safety measure

Or you could just be careful and pay attention to what you're doing. Problem solved.

I haven't found any reasons yet not to use glass, fear mongering notwithstanding (not referring to passedpawn, FYI). I have seen some excellent examples of why safe handling practices and wearing PPE is paramount when using glass.
  • Don't use glass around harder surfaces, such as stone or concrete
  • Don't handle the outside when wet
  • Don't be intoxicated prior to or while handling
  • Wear hand and forearm protection
  • Wear eye protection
I think that if a person does not want to take proper precautions, plastic is the way to go.

Speaking of, I got my rack up, and you can see my leather welding gloves and apron that I use when transporting the carboys. The rack itself is screwed into the wall, though I have to get some plumbers tape for the part in front of the window, and a couple bungee cords to cordon off the open faces.

brew-supplies-shelving.jpg

I haven't found any reasons yet not to use glass, fear mongering notwithstanding (not referring to passedpawn, FYI). I have seen some excellent examples of why safe handling practices and wearing PPE is paramount when using glass.
  • Don't use glass around harder surfaces, such as stone or concrete
  • Don't handle the outside when wet
  • Don't be intoxicated prior to or while handling
  • Wear hand and forearm protection
  • Wear eye protection
I think that if a person does not want to take proper precautions, plastic is the way to go.

Speaking of, I got my rack up, and you can see my leather welding gloves and apron that I use when transporting the carboys. The rack itself is screwed into the wall, though I have to get some plumbers tape for the part in front of the window, and a couple bungee cords to cordon off the open faces.

Plastic fermenter are safe and a lot less expensive than this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=396563&stc=1&d=1492190831

bottle bombs disposal.jpg

Have you actually read through this thread and similar ones???

There have been incidences, that didn't cause injuries, where a carboy broke with no one nearby.

Something caused them to break. They don't break for no reason. If you believe they do, you're extremely naive.

Something caused them to break. They don't break for no reason. If you believe they do, you're extremely naive.

It may have been pressure. It may have been heat. It may have been faulty construction.

It doesn't really matter what caused it.

The whole point is that if one of these breaks, they can be extremely dangerous.

If plastic breaks, you get a wet carpet and your wife yells at you.

It may have been pressure. It may have been heat. It may have been faulty construction.

It doesn't really matter what caused it.

The whole point is that if one of these breaks, they can be extremely dangerous.

If plastic breaks, you get a wet carpet and your wife yells at you.

b-boy said it very well. You may think it is only carelessness, there are plenty of posts here where people were being quite careful and something like a missed flaw in the carboy or something similar, caused it to break, injuring the user.

One response quoted the motorcycle advice, prepare for when you will lay down the motorcycle not if you will.

Pretty much the same with glass carboys.

Reference some who had no issues for over a decade... Then disaster....

I'm careless, prone to risky behavior / poor decisions, and occasionally drink while brewing and/or moving carboys. 3 strikes. I know what material is right for me :) I have broken a carboy in my pool while chilling hot wort. See?

I'm guessing the people who use glass don't fall into any of these categories, and the more power to them. :mug:

I started with glass but only use it about once a year now for apfelwein. I haven't busted one yet but did slice myself up pretty good washing my pint glass.

imageuploadedbyhome-brew1492208745-922208-jpg.396579

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1492208745.922208.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 310
I switched to plastic about a year ago after reading this thread. With kids running around and the wife helping here and there.... just not worth the risk.

I started with glass but only use it about once a year now for apfelwein. I haven't busted one yet but did slice myself up pretty good washing my pint glass. View attachment 396579

Nothing that duct tape and super glue won't fix.

When everyone buys their carboys do they inspect for imperfections prior to using? These are pressure vessels!

glass carboys have weird cult/snake oil/stubborn/ misinformed following. i believe a lot of the reason for "misinformed" is a lot of new home brewers have them is because when they buy the kits the " upgraded kit" has GLASS CARBOYS instead of buckets !! ooooh ahhhh! and a lot of articles when i got in to brewing a couple years back included the use of them and not offering a substitute vessel for fermenting. thankfully with science and technology , we can now handle a 10 ten dollar bucket carefully with respect to its surface and produce the same results with essentially no difference.

when i say snake oil and stubborn, im referring to ( not bashing) the old guys who have used carboys when that was the way " things got done". i am also confident in the fact the 20 year home brewers had some high quality glass compared to the machine blown junk in the market today. the snake oil comes in where they believe that when they tried plastic it threw off the beer. we all know the brain and slightly different numbers can make you believe anything you want to.

disclaimer: everyone has thier reasons for doing things and i am not trying to start an argument with anyone here. i was a true glass believer when i began home brewing too. to each their own.

i now see it as sharpening a pencil... would you like to use a razor knife or a pencil sharpener, the same results are achieved in the end

Some of us only have and use older glass carboys. I damn sure wouldn't trust any glass coming out of China. The old O-I stuff is remarkably durable, as is the older Mexican glass. They used to use those daily in office water coolers all over the country (1920s or so until the 70s or 80s) long before plastic carboys became popular.

My Northern Brewer 5 gallon carboy crapped out on me on its 4th or 5th batch. I racked my Irish Red to my bottling bucket and set the glass carboy aside so that I could start bottling. About half an hour later I hear an incredibly loud CRACK noise, but could not figure out what made the noise. After a few minutes of unsuccessfully finding the source of this noise I went back to bottling my brew. As I was finishing up I noticed the small pool of my remaining beer slowly crawling across the kitchen floor from where I had placed the carboy. I can't recall any notable contact or pressure being placed on the carboy at any point.

Thank god the carboy was kind enough to give out after I had racked the beer and before it was time to clean it out. Clearly I didn't learn to respect the glass though as you can tell in this picture that I dumped out the remaining beer and set it outside to take a picture.

I came online to see if anyone else had this issue and landed on this thread.....I have now learned to respect glass and have purchased a corny keg as a replacement for the carboy. No way I mess with glass again.

20170403_174442_resized.jpg

Those things are junk. A lot of the glass carboys on the market these days are poorly made junk. Buy the older ones.

My Northern Brewer 5 gallon carboy crapped out on me on its 4th or 5th batch. I racked my Irish Red to my bottling bucket and set the glass carboy aside so that I could start bottling. About half an hour later I hear an incredibly loud CRACK noise, but could not figure out what made the noise. After a few minutes of unsuccessfully finding the source of this noise I went back to bottling my brew. As I was finishing up I noticed the small pool of my remaining beer slowly crawling across the kitchen floor from where I had placed the carboy. I can't recall any notable contact or pressure being placed on the carboy at any point.

Thank god the carboy was kind enough to give out after I had racked the beer and before it was time to clean it out. Clearly I didn't learn to respect the glass though as you can tell in this picture that I dumped out the remaining beer and set it outside to take a picture.

I came online to see if anyone else had this issue and landed on this thread.....I have now learned to respect glass and have purchased a corny keg as a replacement for the carboy. No way I mess with glass again.

I fell victim to something similar this weekend. I had the most perfect brew of a blonde ale that I was going to rack onto some strawberries in the secondary. The brew went amazingly well. I had just finished my clean-up, and I was moving the carboy to a closet to ferment. I sit the carboy down on my patio and have one hand holding the carboy handle as I'm opening the back door. Then suddenly there is no weight from the carboy and beer is everywhere. The dang thing had split into thirds. I was obviously pissed but just really glad that I wasn't hurt.

Many of us know the importance of topping up the carboy to prevent air from ruining some good aging mead. Now, there are several ways to do this, but one of them involves using glass beads to fill in the gap. I used to do this as well, but I have encountered a slight problem.

Do not use glass beads to top up glass carboys.

On two occasions, I have had the bottom of the carboy crack some arbitrary time after adding glass pebbles. The crack was in one case big enough to cause a noticeable amount of brew to leak out.

I suspect variations in temperature is to blame, causing the glass to slighly expand/contract. This in combination with the beads arranging themself in a way that concentrates all the force from the mechanical presure to a few spots in the bottom of the carboy.

Last edited:
Back