Brewing meets camping technology

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

methane

Reaction score
I thought I'd post this here, since it might be a noob-ish question.

If you've ever been to and REI, or looked at camping equipment, you might have seen a product like the "JetBoil" camp cooking system. What intrigues me about this system is the similarity of it to me using my turkey fryer base. There are two features about this system that intrigue me. One is that the pot is covered with Neoprene in order to reduce the loss of heat due to conduction to the air. The other is the so-called 'flux ring' found on the bottom of the pots which is said to improve the efficiency of the heating.

So, it led me to wonder... has anyone ever tried creating a neoprene sleve for their brew-kettle? I don't know how I would (personally) go about re-creating the 'flux ring' but I wonder if anyone sees any value in trying something like that as well.

Thanks,
Brad
635614.jpg

I definitely in the noob category but all that I've read says don't cover the pot while boiling...

When your backpacking fuel consumption is a huge concern because you can only carry so much. The JetBoil does an awesome job with fuel efficiency (I use one myself), but it's not really practical for a brewing system unless you're going for some kind of "green brewing" themed rig.

As far as insulating the kettle, that's fairly common.

What about for a keg mash tun? KegLove does make 1/2bbl neoprene sleeves. Or would the typical insulating methods be better?

Neoprene rubber really isn't that great of an insulator, but it's decent and it's more durable than traditional insulations, so it works well for the JetBoil.

Back