Dimensions of 3 Piece Airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoppaFarms

Reaction score
Can someone do me a favor and measure their 3 Piece Airlock? I just built my ferm chamber and realized that the "S" type (1 Piece Airlock) I have is too tall when I put it in my bucket. I don't have a 3 Piece and I want to know if it'll fit if I buy one, or if I should build another ferm chamber. I'd like to know how tall the reservoir is and how long the stem is that goes into the stopper or bung.

Thanks in advance!

Overall height is 4-5/8" (including the cap), 1-5/8" of that is the stem, the reservoir is 3".

Note: I also measured the one that is currently in my carboy and the top of the cap is about 3-1/4" higher than the lip of the carboy. This extra 1/4" is due to the stopper not going all the way in (there is a lip to prevent it from getting pressed all the way into the carboy).

You must feel pretty silly right now...

but there are worst things in life than being forced to use a blowoff tube all the time... Imagine being forced to use an airlock all the time!

Also, I've seen a thread on this forum about a "liquidless" silicone airlock and I'm almost certain it was looking shorter than my 3 pieces... I would still never use anything but a blowoff tube for primary, but for big beers' longer maturations, that silicone airlock was looking pretty good to make sure you never run out of liquid... and if it's shorter, it might fit your chamber... ;-)

Good luck!

You know if you get really stuck or like me want the smallest possible fermentation chamber, you can turn a carboy dryer into a zero-extra-volume blowoff bottle. Just stop up all the holes say with JB weld or fiberglass layup. I plan on doing this to add a little thermal mass to my ferm chamber and allow the smallest possible surface area of outer skin.

You may be able to make a bundt cake pan work as well.

I have fermented full batches with a sanitized foil cover on my bucket fermentor. I was nervous the whole time but it worked perfectly and there was no contamination. The fermentation even put out enough CO2 that the foil (which was crimped around the top of the ferment or) billowed out... meaning there was positive pressure in there (not a lot, but...).

aludwig said:
Overall height is 4-5/8" (including the cap), 1-5/8" of that is the stem, the reservoir is 3".

Note: I also measured the one that is currently in my carboy and the top of the cap is about 3-1/4" higher than the lip of the carboy. This extra 1/4" is due to the stopper not going all the way in (there is a lip to prevent it from getting pressed all the way into the carboy).

Thank you this is exactly the information I needed. Much appreciated.

Not really. I repurposed an old dorm fridge of mine, so it's not like I built my own chamber. Can't argue with free :)

Oh cool then, I thought you built all of it and somehow didn't think of measuring properly... ;-) I was guilty of such mistakes once or twice myself...

Haha no. I suppose I wasn't clear in the first post. The dimensions of the fridge are fixed. I do believe, however, that with the 3 piece airlock it will fit just fine. Problem is my 1 piece is over 5" tall!

Latest posts

Back