Rusted water in jars...Preparing for yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdrollason

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have finally been fed up with buying 8 dollar wyeast every time so I figured I would begin washing them after primary fermentation is done. Smart right. Well I boiled the jars and the lids in my 44qt ss pot and followed the Yeast washing sticky. As I was putting lids on I noticed some rusting on the lids as well as an off color in the water. As the jars cooled I found that there was rust fragments in the bottom. 2 hours later the water was clear and you could see the rust sediment on the bottom. The question I have is should I decant off the liquid into some jars that have been through Starsan or should I just start over with having the lids in some Star San.

Thanks guys and keep on brewing.

I'd just buy some new lids and rings. They're easy to find and it's safer than trying to use the rust water. The process is basically making canned sterile water. Who knows what the sanitizer would do to the yeast if it cotaminated the water.

Back