Question about taking a hydrometer reading.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I am brewing in about an hour and don't want tot mess this up this time. I will boil 3 gallons of wort and add that to 2 gallons of top off water in my carboy. At which point should I take a reading?

Last time I added the wort to the carboy, mixed as best I could with the water, and then poured enough into my test tube to take a reading. My reading was low and most people said it probably wasnt mixed well and gave me a diluted reading... so I want to make sure I do it correctly this time..

I also just bottled my first batch tonight, smelled great and tasted great for flat beer. I am excited!

Take your reading after you have topped off and before you pitch your yeast.. Make sure the wort is mixed well.Shake your carboy well.
ToBrew

should I bother to boil the top off water?

I would boil it and cool it before adding to any wort, but have just added it as it was to a few brews without any adverse affects. Make sure you are at fermentation temperture before actually pitching the yeast, and also make sure you fully aerate your cold wort.

All this mixing of the wort when splashing it around will also help you get a better hydro reading.

should I bother to boil the top off water?
Yea, this time of year is great for cooling boiled topoff water...I will boil my topoff water the day before brewday; let it chill, covered, outside (enclosed porch). Sometimes it will freeze over...quick to chill down to pitching temp. Just make sure you don't over shoot by adding to much cold water.

Back