Walnut Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battery_BreweryNJ

Reaction score
I have a brown ale recipe that I want to make Into a Walnut brown ale.
Has anyone had any experience using actual nuts in brewing?
When and how in the process would I add/use them?
I'm AG so could I add in the mash?
Any and all help would be awesome.

I have never brewed with fresh nuts. One thing you need to consider is the fat content. Walnuts are very high in polyunsaturated fats, which might effect head retention and possibly cloud or even spoil the beer. Walnut extract might be a better bet or possible just a quick "dry hop" with toasted walnuts.

Hey there! I've got a few sources about making extracts and essences on your own, very simply. If you're not averse to it you might try it; all it is, is taking vodka, the most tasteless, clear one you could find, and soaking a bunch of ground nuts in it. You may toast them beforehand; then, after a few weeks to a month, it should be nice and colorful and ready. Perhaps you can add this to the boil or somewhere else in the recipe, refer to other recipes that call for extract; it's not exactly 'pure' with regard to adding nuts, but it's still pretty DIY :D

A quick google search for 'making extract' or 'making almond extract' comes up with some good stuff, like this one here, and I'm seeing most recipes calling for 4 oz nuts to 2 cups vodka, I'd say just use the same proportions or more and chop them up and have at it!

Best of luck! I'd love to try making an almond brown ale sometime, and I'd love to hear how that walnut turns out eventually.

Aiden

Back