Give my beer a cold!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I had intentions of bottling a 5gal batch tomorrow night. To my disappointment I woke up this morning feeling as though I might be catching a cold.. What is the general consensus on handling/bottling my beer with a slight cold? Do any of you think it would be safe if I practice extreme cleanliness/sanitation? Should I just put it off out of fear of an infection? I'd rather not put it off.. What would you do?

No Issues. Just don't couch right into the beer. You could always wear a mask (like the ones used when working in dusty construction areas).

Colds are viruses, not bacteria, so I believe they require a living host in order to reproduce and spread. Even if they were bacteria, I would think the alcohol in the beer would be pretty inhospitable to your cold nasties. Either way, shouldn't have any effect on your beer.

I've been thinking the same thing as everyone else in this thread. I am indeed planning on wearing a mask and medical quality latex gloves. I figured I'd even spray the mask and myself with star san just for good measure.. Thanks all!

Colds are viruses, not bacteria, so I believe they require a living host in order to reproduce and spread. Even if they were bacteria, I would think the alcohol in the beer would be pretty inhospitable to your cold nasties. Either way, shouldn't have any effect on your beer.

your right!!!!, if we knew how many working bottlers were sick while bottling at our favorite breweries. you'd want them to wear a mask, no need to go to far

Back