stir plate for primary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinkonamonkey

Reaction score
I just finished reading about using a stir plate for starters. Why wouldn't you want to use one for fermenting your wort?

Anybody tried it?

$$$ I dont think a regular stir plate and a one inch stir bar would cut it with 5 gallons or more. oxidation might be a concern too but I think once the wort starts fermenting the co2 blanket would offer adequate protection. a lot of us shake the carboy to rouse yeast if the final gravity seems to high. Ive never even heard of commercial breweries using this technique so I doubt its necessary / cost effective.

starters are usually made from O2 depleted water hence the need to stir it and help get O2 absorbed into the wort. Beer wort is usually oxygenated before closing the lid and an active fermentation will create turbulence to keep the wort rolling. beer wort you dont want to expose to O2 after fermentaion because it will cause off flavors, starters are such small volume it's not a problem.

Back