Yeasty bubbles on top of mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
I fixed up my first mead on 7/25/07. I used 12 lbs of wildflower honey, yeast nutrient, and champagne yeast. Then after three days of active fermentation I "fed it" 2 lbs of orange blossom honey. I racked it to a glass carboy Sunday 8/5/07 and set it in my brew/linen closet at the end of the hall to hang out. I am now noticing that the top of the mead forms groups of gunk in several areas that is the same color as the yeast trub that I saw in the bottom of the bucket when I racked it over. I really don't think this is mold or an infection since it looks more bubbly than fuzzy, the mead has always been fermenting very actively after day one and it kept on going hard after the racking. This stuff forms quickly, I shook it a bit last night to clear it off and it was right back there when I came home from work today. There is also no collection of gunk on the glass like I have seen with other infected batch pictures, this stuff shows up right in the middle of the carboy, not on the sides. You can see lots of tiny bubbles coming up all over the carboy like fizzy champagne, so I thought it might be carrying some of the yeast up to the top with it. When I tasted the small sample that was left in the tube after racking it was still rather sweet and very alcohol hot in taste so I know there is much more to ferment out in there but think that it has produced enough alcohol to protect it as long as I am sanitary in racking. Anyone else ever see this kind of thing with their mead fermentations?

you're rushing it. mead takes a lot longer to make than beer. I'd let mine go 3-4 weeks in primary, then rack..feeding more honey if necessary.

3 days...you're barely started.

It's doing fine! Some yeast form Krausen. That is what you are seeing. No big deal just leave it alone and let it work. Don't rack it for a bit. If you have already rack into the secondary wait at least 30 days before racking again.

Depending on the honey and if you use Pasture yeast it will do this ever time. Usually the Lalvins are not too bad about this but Red Star does.

:D I was thinking that it was the yeast just getting kicked back up and krausening at the top, and yes it was Red Star Champagne yeast. Glad to know that this type usually does that then. I don't know if I would say that I am rushing it, I know full fermentation will take months sometimes and I am willing to wait on that. I was more worried about all the junk in the honey I used and wanted to get it off of the bee parts and wax bits that I knew were in the raw honey I used, and I didn't boil it so as not to loose any of the floral aromas. I could see bee parts in the trub and also wax bits on the sides of the primary bucket when I racked it over, so I am glad I did it when I did. Now it will just sit until it is ready to rack again in another 30 days.:D

Latest posts

Back