Ungeheuer IPA - A German IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuesy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP029
Yeast Starter
3 qt, decanted
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
35 days @ 62-65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Excellent hop aroma and flavor with a nice, full malt backbone.
This is an American-style IPA made with German ingredients. It retains the color and flavor of a German ale with the distinct citrusy hop note and the hop forward aroma of an American IPA.

Recipe

Water

RO + 5g CaCl and Gypsum

Grains

9# Pilsner
2.5# Munich
2# Vienna
.5# Caraaroma
4 oz Sauermalz

Hops

0.50 oz Magnum @ End of Collection
0.50 oz Magnum @ 60
1.25 oz Hallertauer @ 30
1.25 oz Hallertauer @15
1.50 oz Hallertauer @ 0
1.00 oz Saphir @ Dry Hop (7 days)
0.75 oz Hallertauer @ Dry Hop (7 days)
0.50 oz Perle @ Dry Hop (7 days)

Other

Whirlfloc @ 15

Brewing

Mash @ 154 for 60 min
Batch Sparge
Boil for 90 min
Ferment at 62* brought slowly up to 65* for four weeks
Dry hop for 7 days

Notes

This is the seventh and best iteration of this particular recipe.

The Saphir hops give the beer a subtle citrusy nose. The abundant German hops give a really fine, noble flavor to the beer. The dual Magnum additions give the beer a nice smooth bite to compliment the sweetness of the malt and yeast.

If you like your beers a little less sweet then I would suggest mashing at 150*. (Batch #4 was done at 150* and came out fine, but didn't have the mouthfeel I remember from drinking ales in Germany, more of a dry American IPA feel. Good, but not was I was shooting for). The beer come out nice and clear with the WLP029. I pitched at 62* and brought the temp up slowly to 65* over the first 10 days.

The name comes from an Austrian friend (and lager enthusiast) who referred to a highly hopped German-style ale as "monstrous".

The picture ain't all that great, but hey, my hobby is brewing.

Cheers

040711 033.jpg

Very cool idea for a brew. I'll have to try it when I'm done with my Alt. I knew a brewer in Portsmouth Virginia who used only Spalt hops for an IPA. I don't have the recipe, but given the low alpha acid on Spalt, it must have used a ton. Thanks for sharing!

Back