What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Tusker by the pool ... Perfect :rockin:

image-3447396847.jpg

That is strange, who makes it?

I know it was a collaboration/competition between Brew Dog and Flying Dog. I believe they decided on ingredients (no hops was the main one) for a no-hop IPA, and then brewed their own versions. Judging by the label I'm assuming that's the Flying Dog version.

I was curious to try it. But not so much now :mug:

I know it was a collaboration/competition between Brew Dog and Flying Dog. I believe they decided on ingredients (no hops was the main one) for a no-hop IPA, and then brewed their own versions. Judging by the label I'm assuming that's the Flying Dog version.

I was curious to try it. But not so much now :mug:

Pretty much that. The Flying Dog version actually beat the Brew Dog version in the competition, but the Brew Dog version actually has better ratings on ratebeer now.

It was interesting and different and so on, just not that appetising.

I like a lot of the other Flying Dog and Brew Dog beers though, not amazing breweries or anything but their beers tend to be fairly good. The Brew Dog single hop Goldings IPA this yeah was incredible.

Ok,picked up the new Sam Adams spring seasonal that's been out a couple weeks around here. It's called Alpine Spring,single hopped with tetnang. Supposed to have a bright citrus flavor. Don't taste much citrus yet,& I let it warm a few minutes. Aroma remonds me of a home brewed ale or the like.
I was thought this one was the IPL spoken of.

Ok,picked up the new Sam Adams spring seasonal that's been out a couple weeks around here. It's called Alpine Spring,single hopped with tetnang. Supposed to have a bright citrus flavor. Don't taste much citrus yet,& I let it warm a few minutes. Aroma remonds me of a home brewed ale or the like.
I was thought this one was the IPL spoken of.

I thought Alpine Spring was supposed to be a Keller/Zwickel light lager. Helles maybe?

People seem to like it. I wasn't a fan the one time I tried it.

Drinking my Islay Scotch Ale. Then I need to get to work. One into bottles. Two into kegs. Then one split up into secondaries with the various pepper combos (straight jalapeno all the way to a combo of jalapeno, serrano, habanero, and bhut).

I've always wanted to try moose, also. How similar is it to elk?

It's distinctly different. Moose for the most part is very very very lean, there are only a few cuts that yield a good steak like the one pictured Most of your moose meat will be made into stew meat or burger, then roasts, then finally a handful of good steak (you're talking a thousand lb animal mostly burger, that's a lot of burger).

When grinding it for burger usually it's mixed 50-50 or 60-40 with beef, while I prefer moose over any wild game I have had, it's tough to work with if you don't know what you are doing.

And again like any wild game the flavor and tenderness depends highly on size, age, diet, field practices, and locale. I've had an old greying moose that was almost inedible, it was shot in a thick cedar swamp where it likely spent most of its life eating moss and swamp plants, while it was a beautiful trophy, it was turned mostly into burger mixed heavily with fresh beef.

Also it smells strongly when raw which turns swmbo off from trying it at all. I was a meat cutter for 7 years when I was a teenager, there isn't much for wild game in the northeast that I haven't been elbow deep in.

And to anyone who says killing a moose is cruel, they cause more roadway deaths in Maine than drunk driving, texting, and speeding combined. Google images moose accident, report back.

On topic... did I mention its a beautiful day here?

Homebrewed Irish stout

20130518_160505_HDR_Hagrid.jpg

Just kidding, it's my Belgian pale ale

if you drive through a moose's house, you take the risk of hitting one. if you move into a mountain lions back yard, you run the risk of one eating your little yippy snack sized dog tied to a tree. also, if you wipe your @$$ with a plastic bag, expect smearing.

having water right now. maybe some coffee in a few minutes.

if you drive through a moose's house, you take the risk of hitting one. if you move into a mountain lions back yard, you run the risk of one eating your little yippy snack sized dog tied to a tree. also, if you wipe your @$$ with a plastic bag, expect smearing.

My neighbor growing up had a moose in rut run through his house, does that count?

It's distinctly different. Moose for the most part is very very very lean, there are only a few cuts that yield a good steak like the one pictured Most of your moose meat will be made into stew meat or burger, then roasts, then finally a handful of good steak (you're talking a thousand lb animal mostly burger, that's a lot of burger).

When grinding it for burger usually it's mixed 50-50 or 60-40 with beef, while I prefer moose over any wild game I have had, it's tough to work with if you don't know what you are doing.

And again like any wild game the flavor and tenderness depends highly on size, age, diet, field practices, and locale. I've had an old greying moose that was almost inedible, it was shot in a thick cedar swamp where it likely spent most of its life eating moss and swamp plants, while it was a beautiful trophy, it was turned mostly into burger mixed heavily with fresh beef.

Also it smells strongly when raw which turns swmbo off from trying it at all. I was a meat cutter for 7 years when I was a teenager, there isn't much for wild game in the northeast that I haven't been elbow deep in.

And to anyone who says killing a moose is cruel, they cause more roadway deaths in Maine than drunk driving, texting, and speeding combined. Google images moose accident, report back.

On topic... did I mention its a beautiful day here?

Homebrewed Irish stout

Just kidding, it's my Belgian pale ale

Im with you Im for eating most animals cute or not!

This ain't no moose but I guaranteed this mofo is just as mean an no this is NOT a feral hog this bad boy was straight from Russia and I killed this beast with my bow :) and moose is delicious as well

ForumRunner_20130518_163710.png

And back on subject im drinking a Coors light on this beautiful day :D

Paschendale said:
I've always wanted to try moose, also. How similar is it to elk?

Never had moose steak, but had stew a couple times back in school (in NH). Knew a guy who hunted them and he would end up canning 90% of the meat for stew. Had the cans stacked up in a 55 gal drum and boiled over an open fire. Quite a sight. Delicious too.

Oh, and so far, a peak organic Simcoe spring ale and a Lagunitas sucks. Wit is approaching boil, probably time for a couple homebrews next.

Billy-Klubb said:

That's either the craziest or most profound thing anyone has ever said in the history of mankind. ;)

Channel66 said:
Moose is great. This was a young bull he weighed in around 600lb nice and tender. When you get up to about 900-1200lb or more older bulls it can be pretty tough and gamey, but still tasty, good for stew, burgers etc.

I love wild game. I hunt deer here in Texas, but would love one day to head up north for a moose hunt. Moose and reindeer are on my list of things to hunt before I die.

Drinking some Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale in a custom pint glass SWMBO got me for Xmas. My last extract brew of the winter and it's GOOD! Dry hopped with some Centennial, but otherwise true to recipe. Highly recommended!

ForumRunner_20130518_172355.jpg

Latest posts

Back