dry hopping with 3 different hops...a few ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
So I have a huge IIPA fermenting right now, and will eventually dry hop it with a combo of Amarillo/Cascade/Citra. Going for a huge citrus aroma.

Anyways, can I do something like:

1oz Amarillo- Day 14
1oz Cascade- Day 18
1oz Citra- Day 22

...or would it be better to mix them and do .33oz of each and do all 3 with each dry hop addition? Just trying to see what would let each hop impart some aroma without getting washed out by the others.

:rockin:

What's the reason for spreading the additions out over a week? How long would you be fermenting it before bottling/kegging? For maximum aroma I'd put them all in at once, about 7-10 days before you plan on bottling or kegging.

Hmm...thanks for the info guys. I always thought it was better to seperate additions (why? I dunno), but now I think I'll do 1 big addition.

So would it be better to dry hop with only 2oz? I like the profile of Amarillo (and do know it can lead to a grassy taste), but with 3 similiar hops, would it be better to switch the Cascade, with say, Simcoe?

I never dry-hopped before, and this is my biggest (read= most expensive) beer to date, so I don't want to screw it up. :ban:

So would it be better to dry hop with only 2oz?

No, more hops is always better :rockin:, especially in a higher gravity brew.

I'm sure whatever you choose will be fine. Amarillo and Simcoe is one of my favorite combinations, but that's just my personal taste, and yours may be different. As far as the grassy flavor from Amarillo, the only time I've noticed it is when I left it in longer than ~10 days, but I'm sure others have experienced otherwise.

Alright, thanks for the help guys. I'll be changing it up and doing:

1oz Amarillo, 1oz Citra, 1oz Simcoe on day 16, bottle on day 23 and let them condition for a few months.

I read that big beers need more time in the primary and secondary, but I don't have a secondary. Would only leaving it for 3 weeks in the primary have a negative impact in anyway if I'm going to let them sit for a while in bottles?

:ban:

Seems to me like it would make more sense to leave it in the primary for a longer amount of time before you dry hop. Big beers need some time to age/mellow, but during that time your hop aroma is also going to fade. So maybe if you age it for slightly longer in the primary then you would be able to consume it more quickly once it was in bottles, retaining that hop aroma that you oh-so-deeply desire.

let them condition for a few months.

IMO an IPA, even a IIPA, starts getting worse the second they leave the fermenter. My hoppy beers never have as great a hop aroma as the first hydrometer sample. If you had a nice, strong, clean fermentation, drink this bad boy up now. All that beautiful hop aroma and flavor your working for will dissipate pretty quickly. Ever see a bottle of Pliny the Elder? It has warnings all over telling you to drink this now and don't age it. IPA's are meant to drink fresh.

Big beers need some time to age/mellow

For the most part I agree with you, like barleywines and RIS. But some big beers can be great right away with the right fermentation practices. I have a 9.5% Tripel that was phenomenal right out of the fermenter @ 3 weeks old. I have a month old 7.3% Saison that's in perfect drinking condition right now.

Thanks again guys! Just dry-hopped with an ounce each of Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe!

Also, my OG was 1.096 (temp corrected) and my final gravity was 1.018. I calculate that to be 80% attentuation, right? If so, not bad for forgetting to make a starter and only using a single vial of WLP001 yeast. :cross::cross:

Thanks again guys! Just dry-hopped with an ounce each of Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe!

Also, my OG was 1.096 (temp corrected) and my final gravity was 1.018. I calculate that to be 80% attentuation, right? If so, not bad for forgetting to make a starter and only using a single vial of WLP001 yeast. :cross::cross:

Damn. That is pretty good.

Back