Carboy cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirage

Reaction score
We just made apfelwein in a really old 13 gallon carboy that had been sitting in my grandparents basement for probably 40 years or so. It was really dirty when I got it and I thought I did a pretty good job cleaning it with oxiclean and some gentle scrubbing. There were still some semi-dirty spots on the bottom (looked like a calcium deposit or something) but we decided to fill 'er up with apfelwein fixing anyways. My question is two fold--do you think that this may end up ruining the batch and is there a way to clean this off? I have soaked in oxiclean twice and and scrubbed it twice as well. Thanks!

Only time will tell but it's pretty hard to mess up Apfelwein. I'll bet you a beer that it will be fine and maybe the Apfelwein will take care of the calcium deposits. ;)

LOL, I hope so! Thanks for the response. This is the first batch we have done in a clear fermenter and I am thoroughly enjoying watching the yeast. Getting my stomach dusty from lying on the basement floor. :mug:

Back