What should I expect in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch of beer and find myself worrying about every little thing! I'm doing a Scottish Ale and racked from the primary to 2ndary last Saturday. Here it is Wednesday and I have very little airlock activity (one bubble every 3-4 minutes) and a layer of "clear beer" is starting to form on the top of the opaque beer. My question: Should there be any activity on top of the beer. I have about 3-4 small round white spots floating on top of the brew. They are about the diameter of a pencil (3/8"). I was ever so careful with sanitation and find it hard to believe it could be mould. Anybody every seen spots on the top of their secondary fermentation. (I plan an leaving it in the 2ndary for a full 2 wks).

Thanks

I'll start off with the ubiquitous phrase from homebrewing: "Relax, Don't worry, Have a Homebrew! (RDWHAH)"

I'm a beginner as well, having only brewed four batches (and only drinking the first). Anyway, 'secondary fermenter' is a bit of a misnomer, as there is no intention of there being further fermenting of the beer. It is better referred to as a 'clearing tank'. You should not rack to secondary until the fermenting is stopped in the primary. Now, you may stir up some yeast when you rack to secondary (er, clearing tank), so if there is further fermentation, then that is okay, because it is before bottling. Some brewers use a blow off tube inserted into the carboy in this case. To sum up, no signs of fermentation at this stage is good.

As for the clear layer at the top, I don't know, as I've never seen that with my (four) batches. The spots floating on the top--IMO that could very well be a minor contamination, but I really don't know. In either case, no matter how bad it is, it will not hurt you, just affect the taste. So, RDWHAH, and continue as if nothing is wrong. When you get a chance to taste it, then that will determine if anything was contaminated. Good luck!

the layer of clear beer on top is exactly that. the yeast and whatever else is starting to fall out, which is what you want.

the three to four spots on top is a little bit of fermentaion starting up again.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track.

Yup. I've seen this kind of thing in my secondaries (when I've used them). I think the particulate is settling out more or less in lock step.

Spots are definitly harda$$ yeasties that can stick it out close to the end...all the while pooping out more wonderful alcohol for you and your friends to enjoy :ban:

Everything sounds perfectly normal to me. Unless your little spots start getting hairy, I wouldn't worry 'bout a thing!

Back