Optic/Sterling SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnythering

Reaction score
Haven't seen this combination here yet. I rarely see Optic used as a base in recipes, and I've also never used it and have been curious about it. Also, the descriptions I've read about Sterling hops being like a slightly floral and citrusy Saaz sound great to me. Here is the recipe.

Style: Blonde

Estimated Measurements:
SRM: 4.6 SRM
IBU: 21.9 IBUs
OG: 1.050 SG
FG: 1.009 SG
ABV: 5.4 %

100% 10 lb Optic Malt

Add 7 qt 135F water - 122F for 20 min
Add 4 qt 210F water - 148F for 60 min
Add 6 qt 210F water - 168F for 10 min

0.50 oz Sterling 7.2 % -- Boil 60 min
0.75 oz Sterling 7.2 % -- Boil 15 min
1 Whirlfloc Tablet -------Boil 15 min
0.75 oz Sterling 7.2 % -- Add at Flame Out

White Labs Persica Ale Yeast WLP299 (AHS Exclusive)

14 days primary at 67F
14 days secondary at 67F

I'm only concerned about my choice of yeast. I want a light, crisp, but still flavorful beer. The flavor profile I am looking for should be slightly floral, fruity, and citrusy, but only very little. I want it to be noticed, not to take center stage. Will this do the trick?

Well the lack of input is less than comforting, but I got my ingredients anyway and am going to go ahead either on July 27 or August 10. I picked up an extra ounce of Sterling in case I want to change up my hop schedule.

In regards to my choice of yeast, I have an APA coming off of secondary and into bottles at that time (WLP060) and a Irish Red going from primary to secondary as well (WLP028). Doubtful that the 028 is going to be appropriate but the 60 might be an okay fit if the flavors from the previous batch aren't too strong. But like I said, I got the Persica WLP299 and will likely go ahead with that.

Any suggestions before I pull the trigger?

i used sterling in a cream ale at 60 20 and 0 and was a big fan

very noblesque and worked great in a lighter beer

no clue about the yeast but i think the recipe looks great - not sure if you need a protein rest in there but perhaps that's your standard mash schedule

Yes it is my typical mash. I have been considering just doing a single infusion because I've read that that is how these silly SMaSH things are made, but I have also read that the protein rest makes for a clearer beer. I love a nice clear beer and this has been working for me. Thanks for the input.

After a number of batches went sideways due to my small boil kettle and refusal to top-off, I recalculated this recipe for a 4.5 gal batch as opposed to the original 5 gal. Here are the new numbers:

Estimated Measurements:
SRM: 4.9 SRM
IBU: 24.9 IBUs
OG: 1.055 SG
FG: 1.010 SG
ABV: 6.0 %

100% 10 lb Optic Malt

Add 7 qt 135F water - 122F for 20 min
Add 4 qt 210F water - 148F for 60 min
Add 6.5 qt 210F water - 168F for 10 min

0.50 oz Sterling 7.2 % -- Boil 60 min
0.67 oz Sterling 7.2 % -- Boil 15 min
1 Whirlfloc Tablet -------Boil 15 min
0.50 oz Sterling 7.2 % -- Boil 5 min
0.50 oz Sterling 7.2 % -- Add at Flame Out

White Labs Persica Ale Yeast WLP299 (AHS Exclusive)

14 days primary at 67F
14 days secondary at 67F

After reading a few other profile descriptions, this particular combination of ingredients and the estimated measurements don't really fit into the blonde/kolsch category anymore. Also, I can't quite figure out what it would be. Any ideas? This one is set to be brewed on August 11.

I brewed this on Friday and totally missed all my numbers. It turned out great but I mashed too high, got a low gravity, collected too much wort, transferred too much into my fermenter, everything was off. No boilovers though and it looks and tastes great, even if it is a little bitter. Can't wait to try this one in a few weeks.

Um... This is weird. I swear it almost tastes like a hefeweizen. Maybe it is because it just came out of primary but it tasted way different than what I had been expecting. It isn't bad by any means but I think I should have stuck with a cleaner yeast. Oh well. I hit my target SG at 1.010 so I at least did something right.

An update on this, the yeast definitely caused a very hefeweizen-esque flavor and the beer is GREAT. Nowhere near what was expected as it had a banana flavor and never fully cleared. I am going to try again with a different yeast, probably 001, in about a month, and I am going to use Ahtanum instead this time too. It was disappointing that the flavors of the hops and grain couldn't be tasted in their entirely because of the strong flavors from the yeast. This time will be different.

weird you got those results from the yeast, seems like your temps were right in line etc. i wonder if anyone else has had similar issues with that strain

I rarely see Optic used as a base in recipes, and I've also never used it and have been curious about it.

i've used optic once in a optic/amarillo smash (called "yellow vision" - pretty clever, huh...) http://hopville.com/recipe/1323302

despite finishing higher than i might have liked, it is/was one of the best beers i've ever made. i need to use optic again in another recipe to get a better feel for it but it was damn tasty and supported the hops nicely in the smash.

Here is an update to the new SMaSH I will be doing on Dec 28:

OG: 1.045
FG: 1.008
IBU: 18.9
SRM: 4.4
ABV: 4.8%

10.0 lb Optic

Mash at 152F for 1 hour

Boil 60 mins

1 oz Ahtanum 3.4% @ FWH
1 oz Ahtanum 3.4% @ 15
1 oz Ahtanum 3.4% @ 2

WLP001 California Ale

68F 2 weeks primary
68F 2 weeks secondary

I, and everyone else that had it, LOVED this beer. It was closest to a blonde as far as I could tell. It never cleared which I thought was strange, but was smooth and delicious.

Finally floated the keg last night, too. So I think I can consider brewing this again, or changing it up a little. One SMaSH at a time, I think.

Back