Over 100% Efficiency Pre boil Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainslide

Reaction score
I was mashing a berliner wiesse yesterday, after mashing I took a pre boil gravity reading after the wort had cooled to room temp 68* F. The reading was 1.056 corrected for 68 degrees. I was shooting for 70% efficiency which should have put me at 1.035, at 1.056 it would be at 113% which is impossible. I took the sample out of the test jar into a cup to make sure there was not gunk on the bottom, put it back in the test jar still the same reading. I think my hydrometer is fine, still floats, no cracks. I am just at a loss of why the reading is so high.

4.20 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.33 %
3.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.67 %

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Sparge Water: 5.0 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Mash PH: 5.2 PH

75 min Mash In Add 10 qt of water at 160.2 F 149.0 F

Any thoughts?

It could be a number of things. To get an accurate efficiency calculation, you need an accurate volume measurement, the right 100% potential for the grain you're using, mix the wort so there's no stratification, etc. 1.035 vs. 1.056 is pretty far off though. .5 gallon mistake on the volume measurement would only change your reading by 1.002.

How did you going to boil off .5-1 gallon in 15 minutes? What was the temp of the wort when you checked the gravity? Something is definitely wrong somewhere.....

Its in the cooler right now, going through a sourmash, I haven't boiled yet. I was just going off of what beersmith said for a 15 min boil, it called for a preboil volume of 6.41 gallons. Temp of the wort was at 68.

Then either your hydro is bunk, you are reading the wrong scale, the wort was not well mixed, you grossly mis-estimated your volumes, or that is not the real amount of grain you put in there.

That is an odd one you have there.

Then either your hydro is bunk, you are reading the wrong scale, the wort was not well mixed, you grossly mis-estimated your volumes, or that is not the real amount of grain you put in there.

That is an odd one you have there.

I am going to grab another hydrometer tonight, I will measure my volume precisely tomorrow when I boil. I am going to try to find someone that will let me borrow a refractometer as well. Very wierd

How accurate is your scale for measuring the grains? Something is way off. And the SG seems low for that style to begin with.

BW style is 1.028 to 1.032... it's quite rare to see a classic example over 5% ABV.

As far as the gravity.... who knows what was going on. It sounds like the refractometer reading is appropriate, though.

BW style is 1.028 to 1.032... it's quite rare to see a classic example over 5% ABV.

Oh, okay. Just checked the BJCP and you are absolutely correct. They don't sell the BW near me as this area claims it's not real beer. But I'm close enough to Belgium to not worry about getting sours from Germany. Flanders and Geuze is more my style anyway.

You're going to want to boil that wort for much longer that 15 minutes given the fact that Pilsener malt makes up over 50% of your grain bill. You're going to end up with canned-corn flavored beer with only a 15 minute boil. Read up on DMS.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/DMS

Or just cool as quickly as possible, if you cannot boil that long or hard.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/dms-where-does-140f-come-132559/

I don't know how much perceptible DMS will be noticed, given the sourness of this beer. I've had sour beers that I would not think I would notice DMS-like flavors in it, but they may not have been present to actually perceive them. Or they may have been there and were just overpowered by the sourness.

You're going to want to boil that wort for much longer that 15 minutes given the fact that Pilsener malt makes up over 50% of your grain bill. You're going to end up with canned-corn flavored beer with only a 15 minute boil. Read up on DMS.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/DMS

Read up on Berliner Weiss. It's commonly made without a boil. Another common technique is to boil a thick decoction but not boil the main mash.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Berliner_Weisse

Latest posts

Back