Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just kidding. I just watched TBL and wanted an excuse to use that meme.

American chocolate IS pretty inferior to a lot of European chocolate. We have some good stuff here, but it's not that common. We wouldn't use the good stuff on soemthing complex like a candy bar. It's mostly in plain creamy chocolate bars or maybe with some caramel.

There's a local place, Dr. Sue's chocolate, that makes a variety of chocolates and chocolate candy. It's not what you find in most mass produced candy bars. That's a whole nuther product.

There's a local place, Dr. Sue's chocolate, that makes a variety of chocolates and chocolate candy. It's not what you find in most mass produced candy bars. That's a whole nuther product.

We actually stopped in the local Kilwin's chocolate store last night so my wife could send some fudge to France. A Brit living there says they don't have fudge and wonders what it tastes like. (Probably sugary and awesome!)

She also saw a picture of a pumpkin field and flipped out! She can't believe there are whole fields filled with pumpkins! "What do you do with all of those pumpkins!??" LOL!

And Potpourri. She saw a picture of "Some twigs and leafs in a sachet" and has no idea why we have those. I can't believe they don't have those in Europe, especially England. But we're sending one anyway.

It is. Much lower cacao content. Similar to BMC vs German all-malt beers.

MC

I was under the impression it had to do with the other ingredients, especially the milk, which makes the chocolate creamy and smooth when compared to the chalky/sugary American brands like Hersheys.

I thought cacao content decided the bitter/roasty flavor and whether it was Dark or Milk chocolate.

I buy high cacao chocolate all the time. Actually, I think the Hershey's Dark is better than their milk chocolate, when compared to other brands of dark chocloate worldwide. I think they hit the style better with that one.

I think Hershey's is the best for S'more's though. If you think that fancy European chocolate is better, YOU'RE a COMMIE!

We actually stopped in the local Kilwin's chocolate store last night so my wife could send some fudge to France. A Brit living there says they don't have fudge and wonders what it tastes like. (Probably sugary and awesome!)

She also saw a picture of a pumpkin field and flipped out! She can't believe there are whole fields filled with pumpkins! "What do you do with all of those pumpkins!??" LOL!

And Potpourri. She saw a picture of "Some twigs and leafs in a sachet" and has no idea why we have those. I can't believe they don't have those in Europe, especially England. But we're sending one anyway.

fudge is mostly british here, so only really available as import or in the "foreign" sections.
Pumpkins aren't very popular to grow, apart from some areas in spain.
potpourri is very french, and should be available practically everywhere in europe.

fudge is mostly british here, so only really available as import or in the "foreign" sections.
Pumpkins aren't very popular to grow, apart from some areas in spain.
potpourri is very french, and should be available practically everywhere in europe.

Oops, I meant to say Potpourri is very FRENCH (She's a Brit living in France and I got confused when I typed.) I mean, the word is obviously french!

So, yeah, that seems odd. I think the jack O'lantern thing should be well known in England too.

The fudge thing is strange. It's very popularly made in the UP, where there is a history and a high percentage of people from Finland. I sort of expected it to be a Scandinavian invention and popular over there. Who knows, it might not have originated from there. There used to be a good sized German population and some others up that way as well. Maybe it came from there.

Remember ...
Back when a hoe was a hoe
Coke was a coke
And crack's what you were doing
When you were cracking jokes
Back when a screw was a screw
The wind was all that blew
And when you said I'm down with that
Well it meant you had the flu

Remember ...
Back when a hoe was a hoe
Coke was a coke
And crack's what you were doing
When you were cracking jokes
Back when a screw was a screw
The wind was all that blew
And when you said I'm down with that
Well it meant you had the flu

Word to your mother.

Prostitution is called the oldest profession.
Coke had cocaine in it. Not much, but it was there.
Crack is made from cocaine.
People have been screwing since there were people, obviously.
Oral sex is certainly no modern invention.
The saying "down with that" may be as old as the 1930s. It's doubtful anyone here remembers when it wasn't a saying.

Nostalgia goggles always make the past look better.

Prostitution is called the oldest profession.
Coke had cocaine in it. Not much, but it was there.
Crack is made from cocaine.
People have been screwing since there were people, obviously.
Oral sex is certainly no modern invention.
The saying "down with that" may be as old as the 1930s. It's doubtful anyone here remembers when it wasn't a saying.

Nostalgia goggles always make the past look better.

Thank you. I mean it. There's nothing more "I remember when hamburgers cost a nickel" than some old dude bitching about words.

As a kid in MI, I remember there were these little "fishing shacks" high above the river, sometimes 20 or even 30 feet above, at the end of long wooden walkways, they were way too high above the shore/water to be called "docks," maybe "pier" is more accurate. The rickety old wooden walkways started at ground level before it fell away down to the river & just maintained (roughly) the same level out over the water. These were pretty small, smaller than the average icefishing shacks I've seen, not much bigger than an outhouse really. Imagine an outhouse on a train trestle, high above a river & you get the idea. When I was little, I thought they were outhouses. I was told that poor people fished for carp in those shacks; the thought of eating carp was (and still is to a degree) rather repugnant.
Regards, GF.

the thought of eating carp was (and still is to a degree) rather repugnant.
Regards, GF.

Fixed properly, carp is delicious! When I was a young man, we would often spend lazy summer afternoons drinking beer and fishing for Carp in a nearby marsh pond or one of the many rivers in the area. They were so plentiful then, that the fisheries people asked for all Carp to be kept, and not returned to the water. We would just throw them on the banks and let them collect flies.

One weekend we were exceptionally skilled in our fishing abilities, and caught several 8# plus fish and had them laying on the bank when another friend came along and witnessed the feat. This friend asked what our plans were for these fish. We just laughed and told him he was welcome to all he wanted. He collected up several prime examples and, without even wetting his own line, was off. Then next weekend we invited him back to join us in the fishing. Again we caught several good fish and every one went into his cooler on ice.

Fast forward about a month, we were invited to his mother and fathers home for dinner. She only asked that we bring our own beer. Being young, and having tasted her fine cooking on numerous occasions', and being broke 20 somethings, we, of course , said yes. After eating a fine feast, featuring some of the best fried fish I have ever eaten, we were informed that the fish was indeed, those same Carp.

:drunk:

Fixed properly, carp is delicious! When I was a young man, we would often spend lazy summer afternoons drinking beer and fishing for Carp in a nearby marsh pond or one of the many rivers in the area. They were so plentiful then, that the fisheries people asked for all Carp to be kept, and not returned to the water. We would just throw them on the banks and let them collect flies.

One weekend we were exceptionally skilled in our fishing abilities, and caught several 8# plus fish and had them laying on the bank when another friend came along and witnessed the feat. This friend asked what our plans were for these fish. We just laughed and told him he was welcome to all he wanted. He collected up several prime examples and, without even wetting his own line, was off. Then next weekend we invited him back to join us in the fishing. Again we caught several good fish and every one went into his cooler on ice.

Fast forward about a month, we were invited to his mother and fathers home for dinner. She only asked that we bring our own beer. Being young, and having tasted her fine cooking on numerous occasions', and being broke 20 somethings, we, of course , said yes. After eating a fine feast, featuring some of the best fried fish I have ever eaten, we were informed that the fish was indeed, those same Carp.

:drunk:

Apparently I've never had it prepared properly then. Tried cooking it once, when I was about 17; NASTY. Neither the cat nor dog would eat it either. I've heard there's more than 1 kind of carp, we talking about the same fish? This is what I think of when I think of carp:

carp.jpg

If we happened to catch a carp while out fishing for Northern and Walleyes, the dogs got the carp.

We used to catch Redhorse Sucker now and again. Not really trying to, but they would sometimes hook on when lazy fishing. (Sitting on the bank with a worm and sinker on the line.)

Grandma would can them in jars with some vinegar and it would melt the soft (but numerous) bones. I think she made fish cakes with it.

Update on Potpourri:

Yes, she's heard of it. She just described the thing terribly. My wife says she clarified that they had seen what was apparently a small witches broom made with twigs and things that smelled like cinnamon.

So yeah, they have potpourri in France. But apparently they don't' have Halloween decorations...

Apparently I've never had it prepared properly then. Tried cooking it once, when I was about 17; NASTY. Neither the cat nor dog would eat it either. I've heard there's more than 1 kind of carp, we talking about the same fish? This is what I think of when I think of carp:

Yeah, that thing. With scales the size of half dollars! They grow huge here. 40+ lbs. We also used to bow fish for them, and I still catch a few some years for raccoon trapping bait. I don't know exactly what she did to it, but I do remember her saying that she only used meat from certain parts of the fish.

Update on Potpourri:

Yes, she's heard of it. She just described the thing terribly. My wife says she clarified that they had seen what was apparently a small witches broom made with twigs and things that smelled like cinnamon.

So yeah, they have potpourri in France. But apparently they don't' have Halloween decorations...

Cinnamon-Scented-Sticks.jpg

We used to get Chinese carp (the one in the picture) here as much as six feet long! There kinda like them golf critters...drag it in a fishin' pole, then ya gotta grab one o' them funny lookin' sticks & beat it to death! We also have a lot of sheepshead in Lake erie, muddling the near-shore waters & chasing off the yellow perch, white perch & white bass. I really need to find a good way to cook'em? My older sis used to cook sheephead so well, you'd never know it from any good white fish! I never could duplicate her method. I've seem some on Man vs Food, where the cut many slits in the meat side of the fillets, then egg wash, bread all the way into the slits & deep fry. They claimed they cook more evenly that way? There's a lot of poor folks that fish along with us on the pears, & if I can find a good way to cook carp & sheepshead, we can all easily feed our families. I could do a bunch of recipe print outs to pass out while fishing. That'd also help clear out the less-desirable fish in the lake.

Remember when people would leave you alone after you had a "fight" with them online, instead of PMing you so they can have the last word?

;)

Yeah, that thing. With scales the size of half dollars! They grow huge here. 40+ lbs. We also used to bow fish for them, and I still catch a few some years for raccoon trapping bait. I don't know exactly what she did to it, but I do remember her saying that she only used meat from certain parts of the fish.

Interesting. I wonder if the Asian carp that have invaded the Mississippi & other rivers tastes better? Seems to me that just driving a boat & letting the fish jump in is an easy way to catch fish. Maybe those fish would make a good cat food at least. Just a thought.
Regards, GF.

Yeah, I've always wondered about the carp to cat food or fertilizer thing. Reading here though, it seems like some people found ways to make them taste good. All you need is a way to turn them into $$ and it'll no longer be a problem.
Those Adams sour gums were one of my favorites as a kid. Salty pumpkin seeds (I didn't even eat the seeds, just keep them in your mouth until the salt was gone), those little dots of colored sugar on a strip of paper, Mary Janes, Sugar Daddys, Twizzlers, shoe string licorice, most of which, if not all have already been covered here....
Also RC cola wasn't a big thing here in the NYC area. They made a push in the early 70's, lots of adverts, look under the cap and win some money, etc. I loved it, but I guess I was in the minority. When I make trips out of state I keep a sharp eye out for it.

Those Asian carp are supposed to be good. Saw some youtube videos on catching & cooking them. bbq'd too. Cool how they just jump in the boat...

You forgot harvest gold (mustard), grandpa. That lasted way way into the 70's, and beyond that for those unlucky enough to buy a house from 2 very old people that died of natural causes (me!).

If there's anybody out there that still has those old colors, don't move. They're on the way back. (I need to find my old bellbottoms).

So I shouldn't add a bath tub liner to the Earwax (Harvest) Gold cast iron tub in my house? I am just glad they didnt go for puke green/avocado on that one.

You forgot harvest gold (mustard), grandpa. That lasted way way into the 70's, and beyond that for those unlucky enough to buy a house from 2 very old people that died of natural causes (me!).

If there's anybody out there that still has those old colors, don't move. They're on the way back. (I need to find my old bellbottoms).
Let's not forget dark orange and of course paisley patterns. I was in someone's house and they had paisley foil wallpaper in thier kitchen. This was about 10 years ago.
I couldn't find my bell bottoms, but I found someone else's in my attic, that are about 5 sizes smaller than I am now. Talk about a muffin top...

My parents went on a de-70s-ifying kick in the early 90s, which made for a good moneymaking opportunity for teenaged me. I distinctly remember stripping the orange and yellow flowered wallpaper from the kitchen and painting the yellow walls and cabinets while listening to the news about Kurt Cobain's death.

I'm sure I spent the money on a cassette tape Walkman and a VHS player or some such.

You speak of mutually assured destruction? Nice story - tell it to Reader's Digest!

Feeling claustrophobic, like the doors are closing in! Grease stains on my hands, & I don't know where I've been! I'm in trouble for the parts I haven't got to yet....

Back