Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure our fridge was a dark harvest brown. The freezer was inside the fridge and it was not a frost free fridge, so every year it seems we'd bust out the Rainbow Vacuum and put it in reverse and blow air into the freezer compartment to melt the ice.

That vacuum even had a spray paint attechment that screwed onto mason jars. So you could use the vacuum to spray paint! Probably one of the first HPLV guns you could get for home use. I'm pretty sure my dad painted the worm fridge with it once.

There you go ladies:

75b1522c0f90965820c838551846a661.jpg

MC

There's a vacant office suite across from mine. It has a major case of the early 90s. Everything is seafoam green and pink with honeytoned wood. I feel like I'm on the Seinfeld set whenever I'm over there.

I remember the 50's, when everything was avocado or khaki green.

You forgot harvest gold (mustard), grandpa. That lasted way way into the 70's, and beyond that for those unlucky enough to buy a house from 2 very old people that died of natural causes (me!).

If there's anybody out there that still has those old colors, don't move. They're on the way back. (I need to find my old bellbottoms).

I miss Mars Bars. Like Snickers but better because they had almonds instead of peanuts. Oh, and Marathon bars! Those were the sh*t!

marathon.gif

Yep, way back when if you were old enough to serve you were old enough to be served. Beer machines in the barracks!! I remember those

I got pinned in 1997, about the last year the Penguin Court and props existed and "Tradition" soon became a bad word.

My first duty station was in Uijongbu Korea in 1998. I saw my first and last beer machines in the barracks, there. I'm pretty sure that you had to be 21 to drink even in Korea at the time but at our tiny little post no one cared until later that year when the machines all disappeared.

I also have a copy of my first LES around here somewhere. Just over $300 take home for 1/2 a month as an E-1. I was pretty pleased with that.

I remember the introduction of Bubble Yum, Bubblicious, and Eraseable Ink pens, wrist rocket slink shots, the Honda Trail 70. All of these had a large affect on my childhood (but not as large as Sharon West, who marked the end of that era).

Remember when a "square cylinder" was just called a box?

Remember when your geometry teacher taught you the term "rectangular prism"? GF doesn't! :D

I don't go back as far as most of you, but I remember when Commander Keen 1 was at the forefront of PC gaming. You had to press ctrl and alt together to shoot the laser gun even when both of those keys had separate functions within the game, and even as a five year old I knew that was idiotic game design. Grandpa! I keep dying because it jumps when I want to shoot the alien!

Or Sub Battle Simulator on the Tandy color computer? Floppy drive & cassette drives. Oh, the frustration of sequential access...

Remember when your geometry teacher taught you the term "rectangular prism"? GF doesn't! :D

I don't go back as far as most of you, but I remember when Commander Keen 1 was at the forefront of PC gaming. You had to press ctrl and alt together to shoot the laser gun even when both of those keys had separate functions within the game, and even as a five year old I knew that was idiotic game design. Grandpa! I keep dying because it jumps when I want to shoot the alien!

Or Sub Battle Simulator on the Tandy color computer? Floppy drive & cassette drives. Oh, the frustration of sequential access...

We had a Commodore 64. We'd plug in the Atari Paddles and play a game where you had to fly around a designated area blasting astroids and whatnot.

One paddle turned the ship left, the other turned it right, there was a thrust button on the KB and another for shooting the laser cannon. We had a person on each button/paddle. Man was it fun trying to get everyone to work in unison!

Sadly, the C64 gave up the ghost after a while and we got our money back.

Nerd alert: I remember 8" floppies, CPM, the Osborne (my first love, before Sharon West), and poke/peek, from my commodore days.

Early 80s we built our own apple 2s. Had a CPM card, forth, scrap shugart drives...those were the days!

We had a Commodore 64. We'd plug in the Atari Paddles and play a game where you had to fly around a designated area blasting astroids and whatnot.

One paddle turned the ship left, the other turned it right, there was a thrust button on the KB and another for shooting the laser cannon. We had a person on each button/paddle. Man was it fun trying to get everyone to work in unison!

Sadly, the C64 gave up the ghost after a while and we got our money back.

I remember asteroids as well. Atlantis & other atari games. Space shuttle was pretty cool. But I loved sub Battle Simulator. sneak up on the biggest carrier the Japanese had, & slam 6 torpedoes into it broadside...neck to nuts! :rockin::ban:

how about those old Atari computers from the mid '80's...the 400 and the 800? You loaded programs like games via cassette!

I remember when games had boards and pieces and not paddles and controllers.

Remember when you could find somebody to play backgammon with at almost any pub, park or school? I had to teach my niece to play in order to play a game of backgammon & she lost interest after 1 game. I miss sitting by the window on a rainy day, drinking tea & playing a few games of backgammon.
Regards, GF.

I remember asteroids as well. Atlantis & other atari games. Space shuttle was pretty cool. But I loved sub Battle Simulator. sneak up on the biggest carrier the Japanese had, & slam 6 torpedoes into it broadside...neck to nuts! :rockin::ban:

Wasn't Asteroids, but it had asteroids in it.

I just found it. Omega Race.

https://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/Omega_Race

To confuse you americans.

In europe, the original mars bar has no almonds, but is similar to your "milky way bar"
the european "milkyway" is similar to a US mars bar, but has no caramel and a much lighter nougat.(you can float a european milkyway in milk ;D

In finland, the international chocolate brands are available, but concidered inferior to finnish made chocolate bars, which use actual milk chocolate instead of the junk mars uses

To confuse you americans.

In europe, the original mars bar has no almonds, but is similar to your "milky way bar"
the european "milkyway" is similar to a US mars bar, but has no caramel and a much lighter nougat.(you can float a european milkyway in milk ;D

In finland, the international chocolate brands are available, but concidered inferior to finnish made chocolate bars, which use actual milk chocolate instead of the junk mars uses

3s3k1d.jpg

Back