Bottled too early – risking exploding bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbrewer

Reaction score
I realized that I probably bottled my ale too early. This is my first brew (True Brew - Irish Stout) and I followed the instructions saying that I could bottle after one week. I had not seen any bubbles for several days, so I thought it was all good.

However, after I finished bottling I realized that maybe I should have measured the gravity *before* bottling. Anyway, I took a measurement and it was pretty high ~ 1.025. So since I had finished the bottling, I started to get nervous and think I may have exploding bottles any day soon. Since two of the beers are in Grolsch style bottles and I just opened one (26 hrs since bottling), it gave a good "pop" when opening, but no fountain of beer.

I called my brew shop, and he told me to pour all the beer back in the fermenting bucket, and add new yeast. However, I keep reading that you should NOT add oxygen to the beer, which will be difficult if I pour them all back. There is also the problem of risking contamination. So, I'm looking for advice on what to do.

I have the following options as I see it:

1. Wait and see if my bottles will explode. :cross:

2. Do as my brew shop recommended. I.e. empty the bottles and start the fermenting again.

3. Remove the caps and recap the bottles in a couple of days. But how do I know when to do it?

From now on, I will use the hydrometer…

Thanks for your help,
The inexperienced thirsty brewer

Try one of the bottles. As soon as it's carbed the way you like it put them all in the fridge. It's probably be just a little sweet.

Do not pour them back into your fermenter. Do not oxygenate.

Just leave them a bit, keep checking the grolsch type bottles for carb level and like El P said, just put them in the fridge.

I get some loud pops from my flippies too. It's really nothing to worry about. You should hear them in Germany! Wow!

I expect your beer to be slightly sweet, but just let it age in the bottle. Don't re-rack it.

Now, go brew something... :drunk:

Back