Hefeweizen on the 4th batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w-sqaured

Reaction score
I'm on my 4th, and I've since done a few ales (Blonde, IPA and Pale). I'm really keen on making a hefe, but have heard from a few sources that they're not generally recommended for novices.

Is there anything in particular about the hefeweizen style (I realize the range of recipes, etc. can be vast) that would warrant the warning? I plan on doing a partial-mash.

Any advice would be helpful.

The only reason I think people recommend that new brewers steer clear of wheat beers is because of the wheat. It can cause stuck sparges. Also, you'll never really get the light color of a typical wheat from extract.

You don't even need a partial mash though. Buy some Wheat Extract that's about 50% wheat and you'll be good. No specialty grains needed really for a basic wheat. Use noble hops and some German Weizen yeast.

huh? my hbs encouraged me to do hef as the brew to bottle time is generally shorter and they knew I'd be impatient!

huh? my hbs encouraged me to do hef as the brew to bottle time is generally shorter and they knew I'd be impatient!

This is probably a good way to ease people into brewing.

I don't think wheat beers are hard to do....it just never brewed to style when you use extract. For that reason, I waited until I moved to all grain to start doing wheats.

Once my pumpkin ale is done in the primary (5 weeks from now, haha...gotta wait for the blond ale to start that one), I'm doing a hefe too from AHS. It'll be my third...but honestly, how hard can it be? Just follow the good advice from people here.

I don't see why its not a beer for 'novices' however stylistically a hefe can be a little difficult to nail down because it requires very accurate and sensitive attention to fermentation temperatures...

Hefe's characteristics are that of Banana clove and sometimes Bubblegum flavoring... and many novices try to get all these phenolics on the first try but fail to take into account very important factors...

Pitch rate is extremely important as well as fermentation temperature...

I would ferment no higher than 65*F and try to maintain that ambient temperature as Hefe's like to run away with their fermenting temperature into the 70's... Ideally i pitch at 60*F. with very well aerated wort and then let it ferment at 63-64*

Too high of a fermentation will produce too many phenolics like with an overpowering Bannana taste/smell and Diacetyl... Go to BJCP's syle guidelines and read up on their Hefe page

I did the extract Hanks Hefe kit from Midwest and it turned out Amazing. Everyone likes it and it was very easy and simple, with a fast turn around!

See, I read in Brewing Classic Styles that you should ferment lower, so I did... and have no yeast flavor/aroma at all. No bananas, no cloves. It's a drinkable beer, but is by no means good. So, when I make a hefe again, I'll probably ferment slightly warmer.

I did mine at around 65-68 degrees and it barely had any banana flavor and just a hint of clove. Perfect balance!! I will be brewing it again!

I think the beer gods or the gnomes control the hefe flavor... I use wlp 380... harvested over several batches. I found my best flavor out of three batches on the last, with a cool ferment pitched on a cake. It was a very balanced and subtle beer... but all the notes are there. The first batch was underpitched (one tube, no starter) and had great flavor, but they were all very pronounced and distinct. (I also did an acid rest at 111 on that batch). That may be what some are looking for... but I like the latter better.

The other batches were mashed at 152 with a 165 mash out.

I ferment at about 64 and pitch very cool.

I like the variations and seeing how the yeast performs each time.

I'd have to disagree on novice recommendations. I ferment at 70F regularly with Wyeast 3068 and have yet to get slapped with overpowering phelonics. Sure, you can taste the banana flavors to a small extent but that's kinda the point. And that yeast is a rocket. I've known people who pitch the Propagator directly and get activity withing 24 hours so stuck fermentation is rarely an issue. With a starter, I usually get activity within 4 hours. I've recommended brewing a hefe in the past for a first batch for people who like the style and are looking for a first brew. Mashing wheat does get a little hairy though so I think I'd skip the partial mash on this one.

Back