Under active air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean6120

Reaction score
Just brewed a honey ale, used fermentis us-05 dry yeast which I rehydrated with half a cup of 90 degree water and let sit for approx 10 mins, aerated wort with air pump with stone , pitched yeast at approw 75 deg. Next day still nothing in air lock. Was thinking about re pitching with wyeast 1056. Any other ideas.

I had a similar situation with my lates pm batch. Saturday evening I pitched the best yeast cream I've produced to date. Never a bubble. But being a Cooper's micro brew FV,I could see through it enough to see a 1" krausen on it. I pitched at 66F,& it went up to 71F. It's going,just not crazy. That's likely what you have.

The other possibility, IF you are fermenting in a bucket, is a poor seal on your lid. In which case you may never see your airlock bubble. Doesn't mean your beer is not fermenting.
Don't rely on airlock activity as a gauge of fermentation.

My lids seal pretty tight.The only time it leaks is when the initial fermentation produces a lot of co2 pressure quickly. That's with the ale pail. The Cooper's micro brew FV doesn't have that problem.

just checked again, have airlock activity so ill leave it alone, tahnks for the feedback.

you picked an obsession, i mean hobby, that is pretty forgiving.

you could have 900 things go wrong, you will still get beer at the end

901 things go wrong, maybe no beer, but you learned and next time you'll only have 400 things go wrong.

you will get beer at the end

speaking of beer... honey ale sounds good; what's the recipe?

its a kit from midwest brewing, its awesome, i added the honey at 45 mins in the 60 min boil, last time it was a little sweet, but still great, and i use all the hops provided.

Back