reusing yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chucking the wort on might not work in this case as I'm going from a graff to a bitter...doh.

Just what I was after, thanks :)

I saw this video on youtube last weekend and thought it might help...

It looks like it is best to do with a conical... I was also surprised to earn that you should only resuse yeast a certain number of times due to mutations!

Cheers :mug:
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
When you have bottled the Graff, collect ALL the cake in a few sanitized mason jars, and place in the fridge with the lids slightly cracked (they will build up pressure).

When you want to re-use it, just pitch about a quarter of the original cake; NOT all of it!.

If you leave it a few days, the liquid will separate. You should pour this off and just pitch the slurry.

If you pitch straight away, it will still be mixed; that's OK, but personally I would try and get most of the apple juice out of it.

There is no need to wash the yeast. Yes, as you get into this hobby and get fanatical about it, you will wash it, but for now, just straight pitch a quarter of the slurry. It will work fine, with no off flavors.

....... And S-04 is relatively cheap compared to other yeasts.

The link and the video are great, but how long will the yeast keep for? Do you need to seal the mason jars before storing them, the same way you do when jarring vegetables?

I screw the lids down, and then just back off a little so that if any pressure does build up it can relieve itself. After a week I screw the lids down, and once a month check the jars by loosening the lid and re-sealing. Remember yeast are alive (and feeding off each other), canned vegetables are dead. yeast will generate pressure.

If the slurry is used within a month there should be no problem, you can straight pitch it. Any longer than a month, you should make a starter to ensure it is viable (I've never found a bad batch). I have used slurry after 6 months. You will find that after that amount of time, you will have gotten autolysis (it will smell like burnt plastic), and will need to wash the yeast before using. Once you know what you are doing, washing yeast is easy.

Back