Kill Shot Simcoe IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowfro

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got my hands on some Simcoe hops for the first time and want to try an all Simcoe IPA. I just had a few bottles of Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA and loved it so I wanted to do something that maybe would be similar-ish. I'm going pretty simple on the grains just to get a better feel for the hops on their own. Any feedback is appreciated!

Fermentables:
10.5# 2-Row Pale
1# Crystal 60L
1/2# Carapils
2# Honey (added last 15minutes of boil)

Hop Schedule:
1oz Simcoe 12.2%AA 60min
1oz Simcoe 12.2%AA 40min
1oz Simcoe 12.2%AA 10min
1oz Simcoe 12.2%AA Dry Hop

I'll use some reharvested/washed 1056 w/ starter, and mash around 152.

I think this should be about OG of 1.074 (75% eff) and about 60IBU.

Let me know what you guys think, cheers! :mug:

Add the honey after you've already started the chill. If you boil it at all your going to lose its flavor/aroma. As is, its tough to retain its qualities, let alone in an ipa. I also wouldn't use over 10% of it as the fermentables. It'll end up too dry for the style. Also plan on using a lot more dry hop and move the 40 min addition to 15 or later. Add more at 60 if you want bitterness, the 40 min is kind of a wasteful addition as your not going to get much flavor/aroma from it there and your not utilizing all of its bittering capability.

I'd go more like
1.5@60
1.5@15
2@5
4@dry hop

I just did a all Simcoe IPA, the thing was amazing. It was super citrusy and masked a little bit of tropical fruit flavor. I like hop flavor more than bittering so I did the following additions.

1.5 oz at 60
1 oz at 15
1 oz at 10
1 0z at 5

4 oz dry hopped in the keg.

My grain bill was similar but did not have l honey or Carapils. That much honey will make the beer dry out quit a bit. Should be interesting let me know how it comes out.

Side note: with the honey and simcoe it will have similar qualities to Bells hopslam which comes in around 65ibu's.

If this turns out anything like Hopslam I'd be happier than a pig in $#!t.

boostsr - if I add the honey after the chill has started don't I risk infection from the honey? I've added honey once before to an IIPA and did it similarly at the end of the boil (maybe @10 minutes, I'd have to check my brew log at home). It didn't dry the beer out too bad at all from what I remember.

I just did a all Simcoe IPA, the thing was amazing. It was super citrusy and masked a little bit of tropical fruit flavor. I like hop flavor more than bittering so I did the following additions.

1.5 oz at 60
1 oz at 15
1 oz at 10
1 0z at 5

4 oz dry hopped in the keg.

My grain bill was similar but did not have l honey or Carapils. That much honey will make the beer dry out quit a bit. Should be interesting let me know how it comes out.

what he said ^^^ i had a very similar recipe, with some rye in there... it didn't last long.. .haha

If this turns out anything like Hopslam I'd be happier than a pig in $#!t.

boostsr - if I add the honey after the chill has started don't I risk infection from the honey? I've added honey once before to an IIPA and did it similarly at the end of the boil (maybe @10 minutes, I'd have to check my brew log at home). It didn't dry the beer out too bad at all from what I remember.

Nope, read up on honey, it has antibacterial properties. I always way till 180 to add it. I've also added directly to the fermenter at high Krausen to give the yeast an easier start. I also use 100% organic in pasteurized that a friend makes.

Interesting to add it right to the fermenter. I'm going to add it just after flame out...I just want to make sure it completely dissolves fast enough and doesn't just sink to the bottom.

I also modified the hop schedule to up it a bit.
1oz FWH
1oz 60
1oz 15
1oz 5
1oz Dry Hop.

Wort is in the BK now!

Just brewed an all-Simcoe recipe similar to the ones described above. My only problem is that I am all out of Simcoe, can't find it anywhere, and have none left with which to dry-hop (which I always do with IPA's).

So, do I not dry hop? Use some Cascade hops (which I have a lot of)? Use another type of hop to dry hop? I've heard Zythos, Horizon, or Summit are appropriate substitutes. I don't want to alter the overall Simcoe flavor by dry hopping with something too different, and I know that Simcoe has a pretty unique aroma. I did a .5oz flameout Simcoe addition, so perhaps I should just leave it at that. Suggestions?

My hop schedule was:

1.25oz Simcoe 13%AA 60min
1oz Simcoe 13%AA 15min
1.25oz Simcoe 13%AA 5min
.50oz Simcoe 13%AA at Flameout

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jesse

Just brewed an all-Simcoe recipe similar to the ones described above. My only problem is that I am all out of Simcoe, can't find it anywhere, and have none left with which to dry-hop (which I always do with IPA's).

So, do I not dry hop? Use some Cascade hops (which I have a lot of)? Use another type of hop to dry hop? I've heard Zythos, Horizon, or Summit are appropriate substitutes. I don't want to alter the overall Simcoe flavor by dry hopping with something too different, and I know that Simcoe has a pretty unique aroma. I did a .5oz flameout Simcoe addition, so perhaps I should just leave it at that. Suggestions?

My hop schedule was:

1.25oz Simcoe 13%AA 60min
1oz Simcoe 13%AA 15min
1.25oz Simcoe 13%AA 5min
.50oz Simcoe 13%AA at Flameout

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jesse

My first choice would be to use amarillo hops, that would go good with simcoe. If not some cascades, or even some citra.

GodsStepBrother said:
My first choice would be to use amarillo hops, that would go good with simcoe. If not some cascades, or even some citra.

+1

Agree with Amarillo or Citra recommendations. Either would be complimentary.

Because Simcoe hops are such a valuable commodity I don't use them for the bittering edition. I would prefer to use something like Chinook for the bittering addition and save the Simcoes for my flavoring and dryhop additions.

Dude you need to use way more hops if you want it to taste like hop slam. Like double or triple your 5min addition, and triple your dry hop. No joke.

Yeah I'm not expecting at all that it turns out like Hopslam, I know this isn't near it with the OG or the yeast, or the fact that I'm only using 1 hop versus the 6 that Bell's uses.

I hate to see someone use scarce Simcoe hops for bittering. Keep the FWH but try to find a nice clean bittering hop (Warrior, Galena) for the 60 min addition. A clean bittering hop wont overpower the late Simcoe flavor. Then you can add that saved ounce and double up your dry hop. :ban:

Well it's been a while but the bottles are finally carbonated. I tried one last night and it might be one of the best beers I've done so far. It really gives a good feel for what Simcoe does to a beer.

Poobah - Last week I brewed another IPA that I used Warrior for bittering and all Simcoe late addition to be able to compare and see the differences (and conserve the Simcoe for other beers!).

Fermentables:
9# 2-Row Pale
2# Character malt, like Munich or Vienna
2# Honey (added around 160 F, when wort is still slowly cooling)
3/4# Carapils
1/2# Crystal 10 or 20L

Hop Schedule:
1.25 oz Warrior pellet @ 90 Min
2.00 oz Amarillo pellet @ 10 Min
2.50 oz Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo pellet blend @ Mid Flameout w/honey
3.25 oz Citra and Amarillo pellet @ 12 day Dry Hop

More hops late will lend more aroma, not so much bitterness. Don't be afraid of late hopbursting.

Back