Questions on Basic Seat of Pants Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superslomo

Reaction score
I'm kind of flying blind here, but I've got 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider (UV treated at the local cider mill, no preservatives) fermenting on Wyeast's Sweet Mead yeast strain.

No added octane from concentrate or anything like it, not adding any other juices or flavors or similar.

What I'm wondering is how long it's likely to take to ferment out, and how long I should plan on aging it. I don't have a second carboy to rack to, and I'm not sure whether it makes sense to leave it for a month or more in the carboy as primary, or leave it all winter before bottling.

I'm okay with it being dry, and I'd like to bottle carb when it's done... how long is it likely to be before I get to that point, and more importantly, how much corn sugar should be used for bottle carb'ing?

I've got fermentation activity, and some kraeusen, but it's not terribly vigorous yet, after three days-ish. The Sweet Mead specifies 65-75, but our house has been as low as 60 on some occasions, so hopefully the yeast is able to manage those temps.

Finally, does this need yeast nutrient? I know the starsan I used does break down into phosphorous, is that sufficient, or does this require added nutrient to keep it working?

Back