Spoiled Wet Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltmarkers

Reaction score
So I ordered some fresh wet hops that arrived today - and I'm somewhat disappointed. I opened the brown paper bag and it smelled like hops and basement and the hops were a brown - green color. How do I know if they are ok to use or if I should dump them?

I thought I might get better responses with a photo.

IMG_0102.jpg

Eeeewww, do they smell cheesy? They certainly don't look fresh do they? They look to be rotting. How can anyone ship fresh hops anywhere and expect them to stay fresh?

Is that the response you were hoping for?:D Seriously, they look dead, I wouldn't put them in my beer. But then again, I can go out back and get fresh hops so, to each their own?

what were the hops sealed in??? if you can smell the hops through the bag they are sealed in then they are packaged the wrong way.

sounds like you hops are bad, really bad. i would complain to the vendor.

I harvested last week, put them in paper bags and gave them out for free, I hope they don't look like that now...

That happens pretty quickly to wet hops if they aren't dried. i ruined a pound of my own because I forgot about them for 2 days in a paper bag. I am not sure how you can ship wet hops without that happening

hoppymonkey said:
That happens pretty quickly to wet hops if they aren't dried. i ruined a pound of my own because I forgot about them for 2 days in a paper bag. I am not sure how you can ship wet hops without that happening

You'd have to freeze them and keep them on dry ice in transit, probably in a styrofoam cooler

I have some bad looking hops too. I had thought they would be vac sealed and iced before shippping, but they weren't. They don't look spoiled but they sure as heck don't look fresh. I ordered through Rebel Brewer.

I wonder if these vendors have ever sold wet hops before? It's really not something you can ship around the country by UPS. It's like buying fresh ocean fish in the midwest, you would be better off with flash frozen fish.

Back