HERMS Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytoptim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I got a march pump for Christmas and I am thinking of building a electric HERMS vessel. Currently I brew in my detached garage. I boil with propane but have a spare 240V circuit that I can use for the electric HERMS.

My plan is to get a 2 gal igloo cooler and put at 3500W or 3800W element in it. I plan on using 1/2 copper for the coil in the HERMS. I will either buy a PID or use the PID library for Arduino. For agitation I want to use a submersible pump to recirculate the water in the HERMS tank. I have three questions as far as the HERMS goes.

Question 1: Is the 2 gal cooler size ok or should I try to find a vessel (not necessarily a cooler) that is closer to 1.5 gal?

Question 2: Once your done recirculating for the mash. Do you guys just take the wort that is stuck in the coil as a loss or do you use compressed air or something to force the wort into the MLT?

Question 3: Agitation, Does anyone know if the submersible aquarium pumps are rated for 180 degrees? I stopped by pet store and looked at box but it didn't say and I couldn't find clerk to ask. Somehow I doubt that they will be rated for that high temp, but since you can get one for about $25 seems to be cheaper than getting small motor and wheel for agitator.

So I got a march pump for Christmas and I am thinking of building a electric HERMS vessel. Currently I brew in my detached garage. I boil with propane but have a spare 240V circuit that I can use for the electric HERMS.

My plan is to get a 2 gal igloo cooler and put at 3500W or 3800W element in it. I plan on using 1/2 copper for the coil in the HERMS. I will either buy a PID or use the PID library for Arduino. For agitation I want to use a submersible pump to recirculate the water in the HERMS tank. I have three questions as far as the HERMS goes.

Question 1: Is the 2 gal cooler size ok or should I try to find a vessel (not necessarily a cooler) that is closer to 1.5 gal?

Question 2: Once your done recirculating for the mash. Do you guys just take the wort that is stuck in the coil as a loss or do you use compressed air or something to force the wort into the MLT?

Question 3: Agitation, Does anyone know if the submersible aquarium pumps are rated for 180 degrees? I stopped by pet store and looked at box but it didn't say and I couldn't find clerk to ask. Somehow I doubt that they will be rated for that high temp, but since you can get one for about $25 seems to be cheaper than getting small motor and wheel for agitator.

It is not a good idea to blow air into the hot wort. Do some research on "Hot Side" aeration. Measure how much wort is lost in your recirculation loop and include this in as MLT headspace in your Mash calculations.

When I am done with the mash I hook up my HLT to the coil and send hot water through it pushing the wort in the coil out into the kettle. This also leaves me with nice clean water in my coil. However, I don't think blowing air into the coil to push out the wort will really contribute any noticeable hot side aeration since it's basically just a quart of liquid.

For agitation I want to use a submersible pump to recirculate the water in the HERMS tank. I have three questions as far as the HERMS goes.
Are you talking about HLT agitation here to prevent stratification? I don't think a simple aquarium pump can handle that temp. I use a motor and paddle during the mash and it seems to work fine. When I am initially heating my strike water I recirculate with the march pump.

About the agitation I was talking about the HLT stratification. I didn't think submersible pump would be able to take the heat either just wishful thinking. I guess I will look for small motor and paddle wheel for agitation.

I have a 2 gallon cooler with a 1500 Watt element and 20' of 3/8" copper as my HERMS heat exchanger. It works perfectly well on 5 gallon batches and I can get a rise of 1-2 degrees per minute for mashout.

The specs you laid out should work. 1/2" copper will allow you to get a faster flow rate for recirculating. The only thing you might watch out for is if the 3500/3800 Watt element is too long to fit in the cooler. I think those elements are longer than the 1500 Watt element I use and I don't think I would want a longer one.

I like the idea of using a 2 gallon cooler. I put 1 gallon of water into mine and with the displacement of the copper coil, it covers the element with 1-2" of water. It also means I have less thermal resistance to allow faster rises than someone using a 5 gallon HLT as their heat exchanger.

For agitation, I use a cheapo aquairum air pump (was about $7 at PetsMart). I just run the tube into the bottom of the 2 gallon cooler and the bubbling action provides more than enough agitation for efficient heat exchange. I don't even have an air stone on the bubbler (I tried, but they crumble from the heat). Stir paddles or liquid pumps to break up stratification are way overkill, IMO.

Latest posts

Back