did I mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
I put a scottish 80 shilling in the fermenter wednesday, pitched wyeast 1728 at about 71-72 degrees. It was fermenting well when I got home from work that night after about 8 hours. On friday night I got home from work and my house was freezing due to a door being open and the temperature in my fermenter fell to 65 degrees. All foam went away and signs of fermentation stopped. Did I ruin this batch with the temp change? It is still at 65 even though the house is now warmer and does not appear to be fermenting anymore.

What fermentation temp were you shooting for? 65 isn't too bad for ale fermentation. First thing is to take a gravity reading to see how far off you are. It could be that you had a quick fermentation, which isn't bad. If you're way off, then I assume you had a quick temperature drop, which might have upset the yeast and caused early flocculation. If so, bring it back up to desired temperature and try rousting the yeast cake. You might also want to ad some yeast energizer, which would be available at your LHBS.

That yeast is actually a cooler fermenting strain. Although temp fluctuations aren't great, I think it's over and you're fine.

Any sudden drop in temperature can cause yeast to flocculate and drop out. Give the fermenter a gentle swirl to rouse the yeast and you should be ok. It may have fermented quick when you were at the higher temps as well. As was said, take a hydrometer reading to see where it's at.

Starting gravity was supposed to be 1.052 and my actual was 1.049 now it's sitting at 1.015

What was your expected FG? Looks like it might just be winding down to the finish. A gentle rousing and time should be all it needs. Maybe even just time if it's about done anyway.

I am surprised to find that no final gravity is listed on the sheet that came in the kit, just starting. I did give the fermenter some gentle rocking/swirling. I won't be putting it in the secondary 'til wednesday anyways so it has a few days to finish off.

Back