Rogue wind when moving ferm bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irrenarzt

Professional Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made a batch of pale ale for a friend a few weeks back. It was a seriously windy day, with gusts up to 40 mph. I moved the open fermentation bucket from the garage to the kitchen and in the process got hit with a microburst of wind. The batch smelled goos throughout the primary (I didn't do a secondary). I popped the lid today for the OG measurement and found a large number of what appears to be the start of a pellicle. Any way to save this batch?

I was thinking of doing a cold crash but below freezing to see if it cold crashes it to the bottom. But I've not dealt with this so far. Any tips would be appreciated. If it was my batch, I'd just let it go sour and add some fruit in a few months but it was for a friend who is not a patient as I would like so I need to save it if possible.

Thanks in advance

Cold crashing dropped the mini pellicle after 24 hours or so. I decided to crush up 6 campden tablets (6 gallon batch) and add these to the beer to kill any of the rogue yeast and so I'll let it sit in my closet and warm up and let the SO2 do it's thing. Anyone know how long it takes for the campden tablets to work? I typically use them to sanitize my oak barrel but what the hell I figure. I think they use them to kill wild yeast and bacteria in wine and mead making...

I make cider every fall and I give 36 hours for it to kill the wild yeast before I add my own. It has worked well for me over the years. This applies to natural yeast found on the skin of apples in Vermont, that may be different from the yeast in the winds of AZ.

:)

Back