Issue with Fermentation--please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goin2brew

Reaction score
I'll do my best to try and make a long story short......

I am brewing a pumkin ale from canned puree (Libby's) and I added half to the boil and the other half to the primary as the recipe directed.

Q1 - Should I have baked the puree before adding it?
Q2 - Is the puree contaminated or is it pretty safe in the can?

I prepared the pack of Nottingham dry yeast as directed while the wort was cooling. This is where it gets fuzzy. (It was getting late and I had a few too many homebrews... ) I think I pitched the yeast when it was too hot. (not 100% sure) I swore I heard millions of tiny screams as I pitched. Anyway I closed up the fermentor and put it in the usual place.

After a day or two of no airlock activity I assumed I was a mass murderer and pitched some more yeast that I had saved from a prior ferment a few days before. It started a very small amount or airlock activity, but not enough IMO so I pitched some more saved yeast and that seemed to kick it up a notch.

Now, at first it was puching a nice pumkin aroma out of the airlock, but it seems to have evolved into a tomato like odor now and I am becoming concerned. Its not a horrible smell, but not a nice pumkin one either. Its been a steady ferment for a couple days now, but not like the vigorous ones of all my other batches.

Q3 - Is this a sign of infection? OR
Q4 - Is this the smell of murdered yeasties? OR
Q5 - Is this normal for a pumkin ale and I'm just panicking?

Q1 - Should I have baked the puree before adding it? I did not bake mine before hand.
Q2 - Is the puree contaminated or is it pretty safe in the can? I believe they sterilize those cans before they go to market.
Q3 - Is this a sign of infection? OR
Q4 - Is this the smell of murdered yeasties? OR
Q5 - Is this normal for a pumkin ale and I'm just panicking?

I would have to say its just normal fermenting smells. Mine never smelled like pumpkin and turned out great.

Q1 - it's already been cooked... in the can itself at the factory.
Q2 - the puree should be sterile, unless the can was bulging, smelled, or had a broken seal (which I've never seen in my lifetime of canned food). I'de suggest washing, maybe even sanitizing the can before opening (including the can opener), but that's probably over-kill.
Q3, Q4, Q5 - no clue. I was born without a sense of smell (no really) so I have no comments.

I'm sure your beer will be fine.

Thanks guys.

This was supposed to be a gift for someone, so I guess time will tell if they open their favorite kind of beer for Christmas or that programmable coffee pot they always wanted...... LOL

Latest posts

Back