Did I screw up my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a Brown Ale tomorrow and made a starter for myself last night. Well it was late and I just finished bottling my APA and I was tired. I wasnt paying attention and I added way too much DME to the starter.

I generally used 3 cups water and 3/4 cup of DME. However, I wasnt thinking and accidentilly used 3 cups of water and 3 cups of DME! I pitched my yeast, but didn't realize my mistake until this morning. The yeast is fermenting very well and I have about a 2 in krausen on the starter.

My question is, will there be any adverse affects (ie ester production or too high alcohol content) from the starter to pitch at as normal into my wort tomorrow?

Thanks.

Well, that is pretty amazing - must have been like mud!
If my calculations are right, you had a starting OG of 1.368. Yeasties can get a little stressed out above 1.040, and this could produce some off flavors.

I would still pitch it, but add some yeast nutrient to the boil.

Surprisingly, it wasnt that thick. It just looked a little darker than it usually does....

if you had done it right, could you still make and use a starter that early? i.e. make a starter that night and use it the next day?

if you had done it right, could you still make and use a starter that early? i.e. make a starter that night and use it the next day?

I do that all the time - well, I try to make sure it's had about 24 hrs.

steelerguy - diluting it down after the fermentation has been going wouldn;t do much now.

I try to make the starter the night before brewday, but I have made a starter early in the morning, and brewed later the same night.

MrMalty says 18-24 hours is the norm for fermentation to be at its peak. I like to pitch my whole starter as well. I don't like the thought of decanting, just seems like your pouring some of the less flocculent yeasties out.

Latest posts

Back