How long does extract last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoisufnoC

Reaction score
I bought an extract kit in the spring and it got too hot here before I had a chance to brew it. How long do you guys think the shelf life of extract and honey that came with it is? It's been in the box it shipped in sitting in one of my kitchen cabinets since it arrived.

I tried some this winter that had been sitting for about 9 years. Can was only a "little" bulged. Nasty stuff. Still have 1 bottle left. It made (gulp!) beer.

Dave

I have a related question, I hope the OP doesn't mind. Is there any good way to store LME after you've opened the can?

cool. do you think the dry yeast is still good if its been in the fridge this whole time?

When I first started brewing, I was adviced against using any yeast that comes with a kit. Because, you never know how old it is if there's no date, and how it's been handled. Some of those kits are a year old before they're bought. I never really liked using the hops that came in some of them because my brewshop stores them on the shelves and not in a fridge. This is why I stopped using kits after the second one.

I'm a picky brewer though. I like fresh everything. Chances are, your yeast is good. I would have a fresh pack on hand though just incase.

And to iddqd, if you have a FoodSaver (or something else than can vacuum pack foods), you can pour the rest of the LME into a bag and seal it so it's airtight. Store it in a dark place and it'll be fine.

I have a related question, I hope the OP doesn't mind. Is there any good way to store LME after you've opened the can?

And to iddqd, if you have a FoodSaver (or something else than can vacuum pack foods), you can pour the rest of the LME into a bag and seal it so it's airtight. Store it in a dark place and it'll be fine.

Absent a foodsaver, freeze the rest of the LME.

I bought an extract kit in the spring and it got too hot here before I had a chance to brew it. How long do you guys think the shelf life of extract and honey that came with it is? It's been in the box it shipped in sitting in one of my kitchen cabinets since it arrived.

Honey seldom goes bad.

This is probably one of the few situations where making a starter for a dry yeast may actually be a good idea.

Back