Milk Chocolate Stout - Soaking Nibs in RUM??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drudini11

Reaction score
Have had a milk stout sitting in primary for the past 2 weeks and getting ready to rack to secondary along with 4oz of dominican cacoa nibs. Usually will soak the nibs in vodka before placing into secondary but ran out and decided to soak in some good 5 year old rum I had in the house. First time I am using something other then vodka and not sure what if anything this may do to the flavor of the stout..........this is a 5 gallon batch. Anyone use rum to soak cacoa nibs before? I have additional nibs as well so if there was any chance this may impact the stout in a negative way I can always make a run later this week to get some vodka and do it the old fashioned way.

I made a stout with nibs soaked in bourbon last winter. While the nibs absorbed a lot more bourbon than I'd expected them to, there didn't seem to be much if any bourbon flavor in the finished beer. I'd guess that the rum flavor would be barely perceptible.

Latest posts

Back